Tank emblems 1949 Pan

panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Tank emblems 1949 Pan

Post by panz4ever »

I am sending my generator end cover out for repair. It is the stainless steel type used/offered? as an option for 49. I also have a pair of tank emblems that are stamped with the correct Fox Company marking that need some dents taken out and one of the rear tabs used to mount it on the tank fixed. So I do not look foolish when I send them off, are these stainless steel or just plain old American steel?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Tank emblems 1949 Pan

Post by Cotten »

Sadly, they are not stainless.

I'm gonna have to look today for this Fox Company marking!

....Cotten
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I believe Fox Co. made about all of H-Ds tin emblems. Acme Co. made the -59 emblems, and maybe the -61s, also. I don't have a set of -61s to check.
VPH-D
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Cotten is correct, as usual, they are not stainless. And they aren't steel either, they're exactly what everyone calls them, tin emblems. I pulled out 2 sets of original 47-50 tank emblems I have just to refresh my memory, the Fox marking is in the front of the circle and it is raised, not stamped, which supports the tin theory, they were probably cast. It says "Fox Co." below the spear and "Cin'ti. O." above the spear. Another clue about original emblems is that the paint in the letters is red, same as the indent in the circle. All the replacements, even the ones the motor company sells in the licensed H-D packaging are steel and have red circles and black letters. I have a set of those too and you can get a magnet to stick even through the plastic bubble packaging.
I'll try to post a picture later if it turns out, the marking is real tiny.
Mike
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I uploaded the picture to the technical pics in the gallery, it should be there as soon as Panhead approves it. Before anyone asks, they are not for sale.

Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

My emblems are plated brass.

I found the raised Fox Company inside the right emblem, but not the left. Both had the Cin'ti. O on the far end of the ball.

...Cotten
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

panzerama, hell...raised, stamped...never get the words right. Fortunately they are marked and not the aftermarket stuff. Need TLC with almost no paint. Now just got to get the bumps and bruises taken out of them.

And while we are on the subject of emblems, what is the correct screw, thread size for these bugggers to mount them on the tanks?

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”