Gas tank questions

xnoahx

Gas tank questions

Post by xnoahx »

Looking to replace my 3.5 gallon tank with a 5 and was going to go with one of the Fat Bob tanks you see in the aftermarket books. I just had some questions with these for those that are running them. Will I need two petcocks and will I want vented or non vented gas caps.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I've got five gallon tanks of unknown origin. Just one pingle petcock,(tanks have a crossover line at the bottom front and a crossover vent under the speedo). If you have an S&S carb you may have to notch the air cleaner cover to clear the tanks. Mike
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

Thanks for the info, Im running the original linkert, any word on vented or non vented? I think I saw something about running vented on the right side and non vented on the left. Maybe to promote drawing fuel to the left side?

Post by Guest »

You don't want fuel to spill out the left tank when leaned over on the kick stand. Mike
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

are you looking for new or would you settle for a set of original tanks?

john
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I run 5 gal. tanks with, I think they call it the 22mm threaded bung, some what in the middle of the tank , as was said above, a Pingle or stock type valve works fine . You still need a vented cap on the right tank and a non- vented on the left. Also said above , the newer repop tanks have a cross over hose ( 1/4 ") on the bottom of the tanks for cross connecting the two tanks and a vent between the two tanks on top , for venting between the two . You will have less problems with fuel flow with the newer type tanks and as said above , that Pingle fuel valve has the capacity to deliver a lot of fuel for a hungry carb./ motor , if you need it.
If you are going to stay with the OEM type fuel valve tanks, you still need the caps the same .
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

The only reason I am going with an aftermarket setup is for cost reasons. I work at a dealer so I get parts at 10% above cost so that is the route Im taking
1950Bobber

5 gallon tanks

Post by 1950Bobber »

"The only reason I am going with an aftermarket setup is for cost reasons. I work at a dealer so I get parts at 10% above cost so that is the route Im taking"

BIG MISTAKE, but hey...how else you gonna' learn? :roll:

Take the man's advise and save the $$$ of a paint job as well as a complete melt down from a leaky-gas-engine-fire 8)

This site has alot of, "don't touch the stove it's hot"...info!!!

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber" ...Yup, I'm still around :wink:

Post by Guest »

I think I will be fine running one of these aftermarket tanks. I dont see many bikes running around bursting into flames so I think I should be fine.
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc »

When I bought the "Johnny Cash" pan in May, it came with 5 extra sets of aftermarket tanks, one or both sides were epoxied on every set! The set on it was brand new, and I epoxied the left one last week. Next paint job
I'm going to have a radiator shop seal a set. (or several)
If you go aftermarket, find a good radiator shop & have them sealed before you paint them. The acid they are dipped in will strip them.
There are listings in Walnecks, and Hemmings Motor News.
drinner-okc
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

Thanks for the info, I was planning on sealing the tanks before using them with Kreem or POR-15. Im not sure if people that are having trouble with them are doing that or not
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Unless you have soldered tanks such a VLs or Indians,
sealers are nothing but a liability.

...Cotten
64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

xnoahx
what year tanks are you getting rid of? May be interested.
Thanks 64duo
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

Ill be looking to hold onto my old tanks, sorry
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

As Cotten has said the sealers are a liability, don't do it. If it leaks when you preasure test the new tanks, FIX THE LEAKS! that goo sealant has been knowen turn into pieces after time of use. Cotten, do you say to use sealants on VL soldered tanks because they leak a lot? (Thinking of restoring a VL next prodject)

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”