gas tank help

pan58head
Inactive member

gas tank help

Post by pan58head »

Couple questions about gas tanks, Does any body know the thread size of the left side tanks top shut off fitting? Somebodt brazed mine shut and I got the braze off but need to chase the threads. Also One of my tank had small pin hole(that I brazed up), just curious if tank coating(cream) will fill any small pits in the metal that may become a leak later on . Thanks in advance Bob
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

Can't help you with the thread size. But DON'T use Kreem - there have been all sorts of horror stories about that stuff dissolving in the fuel and ending up with a blob of gelatin in your tanks.

On the other hand - I used the POR-15 process and after three years it still looks like it did the day I put it in there. I would say that POR-15 would fill in the pits that will eventually become pinholes.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I have the Kream in my tanks for years and no problems if done right , they look fresh as the day I applied it . I think some of the problems with the Kream is with the prepping the tanks initially ( de-oiling tanks before starting is key in the use of this product ).
If your tanks are already painted , use some thing else , because if you get any of the prep or conditioner(especially the conditioner ) on the painted surfaces , it will take it off.
I know its difficult to do , but I let the Kream dry for several weeks before putting fuel in the tanks . The latest tanks I did were so rusty , conventional removal did not work , I let the prep sit in the tanks for a week or two ( agitating once a day) and it made the tanks look pretty good , the conditioner was applied and immediately apply the Kream after wards. You do hear horror stories here , but I believe if done right you can get good long lasting results and never have to worry about rust particles to plug up the fuel system. There are a lot of fuel tanks out there with Kream in them with no problems . Its you call , this subject comes up every once in awhile with those who hate it and those who have had good results with it .

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”