FACTORY CHROME GAS TANKS

49glide
Bikes: 1949 FL Panhead,1982 FLH Classic

FACTORY CHROME GAS TANKS

Post by 49glide »

Can anybody verify if at anytime you could order a bike from the factory with the tanks chrome plated?? I have been told by a few people that this was option in the early fifties?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: FACTORY CHROME GAS TANKS

Post by Cotten »

49Glide!

Although the experts will be adamant, the fossil record suggests that anything was possible.

(A noted, knowledgeable, and respected collector recently stopped by my shop with a '49 in his van that he referred to as "original paint", yet it had black panels over chrome.)

The Factory forms undoubtedly did not list all of the courtesies that they could extend, and often the dealers were involved.

It is the narrow and destructive perspective of AMCA judging that has erased any acceptance of honest provenance that disagrees with their dogma. If Granpa said that's the way he got it, I wouldn't hesitate to believe him.

...Cotten
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

The correct answer is "no".
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Bigincher wrote:The correct answer is "no".
So you were there, right?

AMCA "correct", no doubt.

....Cotten
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

There is no historical record ever showing chrome tanks as an offered option or replacement part. There is much historical record covering optional pain and non-standard colors. No other parts were ever offered by H-D as options (primary covers, oil tanks, etc. ) so everything points to no.
Many dealers offered custom paint, extra chrome, etc, and many ONE OWNER bikes had non-standard finishes. However, they were not built this way, just modified before sale by dealers catering to buyers. Some period documentation exists in the form of sales receipts from dealers for special items. Also be aware that in the early '50s chrome was difficult to source. Many H-D parts were changed to stainless steel starting in '49 and continuing through the mid '50s due to chrome shortages as a result of the Korean War. Many manufacturers removed it altogether supplying bikes with painted wheels and handlebars.
So despite the fantasy of some, the lack of any documentation to prove something was done , and much documentation to prove it was not, by serious historians with lots of supporting data, the consensus is no.
As far as I know , neither Tom was there....
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

I have the original order form from the factory for my "48" , it was delivered with what was labeled "Deluxe Chrome package" I will try to remember to scan it for presentation for you to view , if I remember right all factory options of the time were listed .
Ed
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I think Rubone's reply is accurate regarding this matter.
VPH-D
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

The AMCA tunnelvision that "as they left the factory" was the way they were invariably delivered to the customer is nonsense.
Check out the springtime customizations on fresh '65s at http://nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.com/2 ... -trip.html

To declare that tanks never, ever went through the chroming process for personal favors, dealer promotions, or bribes implies that MOCO workers were not human, but immaculate super-beings.

Those who robe themselves as experts and decree that such things are apocryphal are like biologists asserting that two-headed snakes or five-legged calves are impossible.

....Cotten
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Until the point when someone produces a genuine document from the factory proving that such an event took place the actual documents (sales order blanks which include available options, authentic H-D letters, "Enthusiast" magazines, etc) and copies of sales receipts that prove it did not trump anyone's desire to make their personal opinion into an actual fact. Reading this thread it appears to be directed to H-D factory practices and never mentions anything about the AMCA or any other organization. And what was done by dealers before sales had nothing to do with how H-D supplied the bike. Then as now dealers are free to customize products before sale and often do. That is no different than an owner changing their bike to suit themselves. But in no way does either scenario represent how H-D delivered a product.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Well, I hate to say it, but you both (Robbie and Cotten) appear to be pushing your own opinions as fact.

And, lack of evidence does not prove anything(though it does make it less likely).

I think you both make good points, until you get to the point of implying that is how it is.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Andy,
This isn't my opinion. Just a comment based on known documentation. I have no opinion on the subject because I don't care one way or the other. It in no way affects my life or my interest in old motorcycles. As soon as someone can provide definitive proof one way or the other I would be interested in it, for that would be fact. Up to that point who cares. As for implying how it is, your own comment can be construed as that.

I suggest that everyone should pursue those facts for themselves. There is much research material out there. Between authors such as Bruce Palmer lll, Herbert Wagner, Jerry Hatfield, H-Ds own archives, there is a lot of info. Beyond that there is much documentation in private collections. As well as tons of period publications.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

Herbert Wagner's book (H-D 1930-1941 Revolutionary Motorcycles and Those Who Rode Them) illustrates that particularly in Wisconsin, there was more of a 'family' relationship with dealers than we might imagine today.
These were people, not saints, and anyone who thinks that there was never any collusion between dealers and the factory is naive.

To pontificate that absolutely no chromed tanks ever escaped the factory is conjuring; Easy for a "true believer" to do, when the people are all dead!

....Cotten
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

It comes down to semantics. In the 1950's just as today you didn't order your bike from the Factory, you ordered it from a Dealer. A lot of dealers were known to go to great lengths to make a sale & give a customer what he wanted. Enter the phrase, "Its not always what you know, but sometimes who you know that counts." Some dealers could obtain special favors from the factory because they knew the right people. More often though they obtained special items from local sources. Enter the phrase, "Dealer add on". These customizations were usually things like custom paint, leather work, lighting, and sometimes chrome. These customizations would be done by the dealer prior to delivery. Back to semantics, Did the bike come from the Factory like that? usually not. Was it original? Well to the person buying it yes. Now lets remember these were new bikes being ordered and supplied to a customer's liking. They were not antiques yet. Terms like Original Factory Equipment, or Correctness didn't apply. There was no AMCA until 1954. So fast forward 60 years, the bike is now an antique. It somehow managed to survive untouched, (Like that would ever really happen) But its being judged, it has some of these dealer added customizations. Is it, "Factory Original" technically no. Is it, "Original" well to the guy that originally bought it that way from his dealer, yes. Did the guy keep all his paperwork & receipts for 60 years? Not very likely. And so the debate goes on & on. This is just the way it was guys. You bought a bike to ride & enjoy & weren't even thinking about if it would be considered, "Original" or "Correct" years later. So back to the original question of the chrome tanks coming from the factory, probably not, but its quite possible they were provided by a dealer at a customer's request. Are they, "Original" Well we're back to semantics again aren't we. OH and by the way, in case you're wondering, Yes I was there, Yep I'm that old, which is why I can say, "This is the way it was guys, no one cared."
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

I referred previously to a paneled-over-chrome, supposedly "original paint", '49 that a serious collector was quite proud of, as any of us would be, no matter what its provenance.
(Of course I scratched my chin, but the rest of the un-molested "barn find" was certainly stuff that dreams are made of...)

"Original paint" presents a semantic exercise of its own.

The reason such machines are now hen's-teeth, and sought after with un-believable fervor by those who can afford to.., is the blind-faith assertions by *experts* that have ground so much History into dust for decades.

If anyone encounters such a machine, please spare it from the sandblaster, and please contact me immediately at liberty@npoint.net.

You will not regret conserving History, no matter how it has been re-written.
(Those, with more resources than I, will guarantee it.)

....Cotten
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

i like the term "period correct"

was chrome available in the 50's? yes with some restrictions as robbie pointed out due to the korean conflict. my '55 has a chrome oil tank, it was done very well and has held up very well over many years of abuse. i would like to think that someone went to the expense of having it chromed in the 50's by a dealer or some other source was pretty damn proud of it.

i like the way it looks and will probably leave it that way the next time i redo the bike.

john
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”