EATON cap question

Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1958 FL,1958 FLH, 1964 FL

EATON cap question

Post by Northman »

Hello,
Couple questions if anyone can help, I wrapping up my 58 project and have a pair of Eaton caps, one has the trade mark at the end and the other is more centered. Not a matched pair?

Also wondering how to determin right and left along with the thick and thin seal. I'd rather know prior to yanking the seals on and off and trying the caps on the tanks etc. If someone could shed some light on these I'd appreciate it.
Thanks, Northman
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: EATON cap question

Post by RUBONE »

On a '58 the caps are the same, no such thing as right or left! They interchange. If your caps have different washers it may be just later production on one of them. The caps became sided with the end of the fuel shut-off plunger!
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Rubone, thanks for the quick reply.
Yeah I have no idea about these. No gaskets were on them, just two Eaton caps and thoughts rambeling in my head. Seems I found years listed in a aftermarket catalog that covered years that confused me more.

So they should be both thin gaskets for a correct seal? Just thinking if anyone has had issues with that rubber stretching around from the crap gas we have... that maybe another sort of material or thicker one may work better?

Thanks
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

If one is shallow, and one is deep, then it is for the bigger turnpike tanks on the '65 and later FLH. I have a shallow one if you want to trade. I am no expert on these, and I guess there are differences even in the ones that are the same shape. I have used and NOS. The early ones had cork seals. I use rubber on mine. Mike
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Mike,
there is a slight difference in the caps, hard to really notice but as they sit on the bench one is slightly higher/lifted off (rim of the cap from surface) I'll post a couple pictures shortly. I don't know if they are a matched set or not. I'm thinking they should be both the same, but which one is the question. Again I have no clue which or what is correct. Maybe I'll just stuff a couple a shop rags in each hole and call it good :shock:

I'll certainly swap so I have the correct one needed.
Carl
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Cap pictures...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pan50head
Bikes: 1950 FL

Post by pan50head »

I was able to find a set of NOS Eaton caps, very nice. I put rather thick rubber seals on them which prevented gas from leaking around the cap. However, as the seals swelled, the outer edges of the seals blocked the gas cap vents. At highway speeds, the engine would quit and it drove me nuts. Some wise person told me to check the cap vents, and sure enough. I cut away a portion of the outside of the seals and solved the problem.
Pomike
Inactive member

Post by Pomike »

Carl, all of them I have look like the one on the right. The two ridges on the ne on the left dont resemble any of mine. I think I remeber C. Haynes saying something about a different finish on the inside of the newer oes, but all mine look the same on the outside, except one older one that the serrations are actually not even straight on. We need an expert to be sure, but all those "rich" older bikers are at Davenport, so it will probably take to next week to get a response, unless they using ipads, or some such gadget, which I know nothing about. Can somebody tell me what the Eatons are worth? I don't know. Mike
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

but all those "rich" older bikers are at Davenport
mike,

i just got back, as for being rich i might be this time. this was the least expensive trip in years! i managed to get some of the very final parts for my wla. a nice set of leg shields and some hardware.

more important was seeing friends and getting away from my obligations for a day.

as for being old i certainly figured that out on the way home with the pit stop at hooters. all of the wait staff are younger than my daughter!

the caps are anyones guess. 50 bucks each??

john :D
Pomike
Inactive member

Post by Pomike »

John
Like I said, "rich". In quotes,tongue in cheek, fingers crossed, sarcasm,etc. 50 bucks, huh? Thanks! He said it Carl. I didn't. Wish I could have been at the meet, too. Just wasn't on the cards, or wallet at this time. A little farther trip for me, John. Hope everyone enjoys it. Mike
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Mike, I want a matched pair and if you are willing to let one go I'll take it. I'll pm, I think you still have my address??

Yeah I wanted to do Davenport the past two years but something always crops up.

Hey John.... I know, its pretty bad when you could be the dad now or even Grandpa, but whats even wose is looking and you realize your not even a blip on the radar :(

I hope someone reads this thread and can tell me if its just a newer mfg. cap or what. (I'm guessing thats the case)
Northman
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Not all Eaton caps were vented where the gasket will cover them.

...Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”