Motor Paint

1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Motor Paint

Post by 1962FLH »

I am restoring this Panhead and decided to use black paint; knowing this bike is very close to stock down to the original paint on tanks and linkert carb. It was a tuff decision and I know what the purest would say but this is a rider I tore down on Feb 14th 2012 and the heads are the last thing left to complete the build. What are your thoughts on using silver or black paint on Jugs and lifter blocks?

Thanks.

John, Central Texas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Motor Paint

Post by 58flh »

YOUR jugs look GREAT!---I use HI-Temp Cast-Blast on my heads!--ITS very close to stock color & it lasts LONG!--You have to remember I ride daily So I dont care about AMCA Judge stuff!,-I do & use what works!----RICHIE 8)
1962FLH
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

Thanks RICHIE I had some left over PPG paint from my 74 FLH and my 52 Chevy truck. I used a clear coat over the black and had good luck with it. When applied to engine jugs it does not fade or peal in the hot Texas weather and stay looking good going on 4 years now and that’s why I used it on the Panhead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

MY metal is all PPG/ With clearcoat!---Pretty tuff stuff!,--I wanted to shoot it in Imron!, But my painter didnt want to shoot it!/ I wouldnt of got the EGGPLANT purple effect when the sun hits it!---Bikes look good!--RICHIE 8)
1962FLH
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

Harley painted the ugly Barney purple Fatboy. I would never have chose that color but years ago I found the bike in a ware house with 1,407 miles on it and the guy needed to sell (Bankrupt sale) and it was the closest thing to a new Harley I would ever own so I bought it. I fell in love with the way it ran and I have intended to paint it but never got around to it. I get a lot of crap for that paint job but can’t bring myself to scrape perfectly good factory paint from tins when only 1 of 500 on the Fatboy demo bikes in 1999. I can’t see spending money on a good running bike that is just something I keep around for my brothers to ride when one comes to town. It may be for sale when I finish the Pan, or not I like all the Harley models to much.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

1962FLH!

If you intend to "restore" the machine,
then you have little choice as to finish, much less color.

Anything but "as it left the factory" is unaccepted.

....Cotten
PS: In light of my recent fuel digestivity tests,
I am shopping for a new gloss black for Linkerts, Scheblers, and Marvels.

I hate paint.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

I paint my jugs black but I like the lifter blocks better silver.My 80 lowrider still has original silver paint lifter blocks and they look perfect 30 years later.:)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Hog54 wrote:I paint my jugs black but I like the lifter blocks better silver.My 80 lowrider still has original silver paint lifter blocks and they look perfect 30 years later.:)
To the world of serious restoration, right or wrong, only '48 Pan cylinders are acceptible to be painted black.

I did not make up the rules Folks,

....Cotten
1962FLH
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

Yea Cotton I figured you would say that and I agree; and yes I did struggle with the decision to deviate from original color paint and may regret it later but I can always change it. The bike has very little changes from factory when I got it from the third owner. Original paint tanks but the fenders were chopped in 1968 so I got some repop fenders and matched the HiFi Blue paint to look like the tanks. It is a close match with PPG paint. Okay so it’s not a correct (restoration) to be judged by others let’s just call it something for me to enjoy. As far as the engine it was in good running condition however the cases leaked at base gaskets and had sat unused from 1982 to 2011 so I went through all engine and transmission. I could not find a supplier for a one or two hole crank pin only three hole; and the pinion shaft that came in had an oil hole in the end for later pans or shovels. Instead of plugging it I altered the cam cover pinion shaft bushing to oil through the pinion shaft. I figured if the factory made the change later on so it must work better with the three hole crank pin. Rod bearings were on back order for three weeks from 4 different suppliers. Only heads to go through now and it will be done. I guess I’m off topic now so I will shut up.
Regards
John

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”