It's always something.....

awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

It's always something.....

Post by awander »

SO this evening, I noticed that my daughter had forgotten to take her homework with her when she went to her mom's house. I figured, great, another excuse to go for a ride! It's a 10-mile round trip, so nothing spectacular, but what the heck right?

I rode down there, pulled into the driveway, put down the jiffy stand, got off the bike, got the homework out of the saddlebag, started to walk to the door.....and out of the corner of my eye, saw the bike roll 8" backwards, and start to fall over!

I ran back and caught it, and discovered that the jiffy stand was pointing straight forward! I propped the bike up as well as I could, delivered the homework, carefully started the bike and rode home. I figured it was the dreaded "worn out locking tab" or even the more-dreaded "worn out bracket", but when I looked, I found that the locking tab had cracked, and was barely holding on to the top of the jiffy stand.......
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Re: It's always something.....

Post by jdpan »

That sucks, glad you were able to save her. I always have this fear in the back of my mind that my kickstand's gonna blow out while starting. Mid kick, fall down go boom.
Last edited by jdpan on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat »

So tell us...was the broken part genuine HD or aftermarket??? Enquiring minds want to know.

Aloha...Mike
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Sir_Rat wrote:So tell us...was the broken part genuine HD or aftermarket??? Enquiring minds want to know.

Aloha...Mike
Or chromed?

...Cotten
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Nice-SAVE---Let me know if you need anything Andy!----58flh-(Richie) :shock:
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

I always have this fear in the back of my mind that my kickstand's gonna blow out while starting. Mid kick, fall down go boom.
-or- it breaks and falls over while running with a open belt primary! makes for interesting conversation while the bike skiddles around on the clutch hub!

been there done that!

john

Return to “Frame & Fittings”