panhead frame's

tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

panhead frame's

Post by tschukojr »

i recently bought a 50 fl, kinda ratty, but when i was a kid i had a 56 fl, in a straight leg frame, we always thought it was a knuckle frame, now thanks to this site , i've learned, that, , or i think anyway the rigids were all wishbone's up till 54, then they had offered 3 types 2- wishbone's, and a straight leg, each year, is that correct, and why did they offer the variations, now i just saw a pic of a 48 with a straight leg frame on this site in the gallery-----sooooooo now i'am all confused---i realize anyone could put any pan motor in any pan frame and it happened quite a bit--- but can anyone straightn out theese facts for me-----------------------tony s
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: panhead frame's

Post by RUBONE »

All Knuckles from '36 and Big Twin Flatheads from '37 are straightleg. Although there are about 9 variations! All '48 through mid '54 are wishbone, again with many variations. All late '54 to '57 are straightleg with very minor differences.
Most, but not all the variations appear in Palmer's Restoration guide. No '48 ever came in a straightleg frame. In '48 Big Twin ULs did come in a wishbone. That is the intro to frames 101!
Your frame should have flattened tubes for the square cornered horn blocks that are tapped 10-24 threads, full strap tool box mount, curved top motor mount, etc.
Robbie
tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

Re: panhead frame's

Post by tschukojr »

thanks , i amm glad you replied, the other nite i was searching pan stuff on the net and a page for 54-pan came up , it led to here ( but i had already found this site earlier)--the page had pic of a 54 and and the paint scheme's for the year, and, a summary, that said 2 wishbone's and something about horn mounts, for the wishbone's, and a straight leg frame, prolly cause it was the change year---again thanks a lot----the frame on my 50 fl has been hacked its just gonna be a fun bike to tinker around with,( ihave a 07 roadglide too)---bought cause i missed the 56, but that was 30 yrs ago--= i need to get a backbone brace for the 50 cuase it was cut out, problem is ,the spot were it would have been connected to the lower neck was ground off flat, but i' gotta do something this winter----thanks tony s

Return to “Frame & Fittings”