WALLOWED OUT HOLES ON FRAME/MOTORMOUNT

FLHMAN880
Bikes: 50 FL

WALLOWED OUT HOLES ON FRAME/MOTORMOUNT

Post by FLHMAN880 »

JUST PICKED UP A REAL NICE ORIGINAL 1950 PAN FRAME, IT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION EXCEPT THAT 2 OF THE MOTOR MOUNT HOLES ARE WALLOED OUT PRETTY GOOD. WHAT ARE MY CHOICES? I WAS THINKING ABOUT WELDING THEM CLOSED, THEN MOUNTING THE MOTOR USING THE GOOD HOLES WITH BOLTS, THEN DRILLING NEW HOLES, USING THE CASE HOLES AS GUIDES? IF THERE IS A BETTER/PROPER WAY, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, APPRECIATE ANY HELP.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: WALLOWED OUT HOLES ON FRAME/MOTORMOUNT

Post by Cotten »

FLHMAN880!

The frame should be spared any un-necessary heat, so drilling or reaming out the holes for press-fit sleeves is the easiest remedy. They need not be welded, as the motor and fasteners capture them.

If you feel the center of the hole has moved, then pressing in solid slugs will let you re-locate a proper hole.

It requires a lathe to prepare the inserts, however.

Good luck!

...Cotten
(Psst! YOUR CAPS LOCK IS ON!
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: WALLOWED OUT HOLES ON FRAME/MOTORMOUNT

Post by Bigincher »

If you find it difficult to accurately do this using your actual motor, all good frame guys have a 'mock motor' that they use for correct frame/motor mount alignment. It generally consists of steel plate-- shaped and fit for the elevation difference between the front and rear mounts--- and bores for the exact location of the motor mount bolts. Perhaps you can locate a quality frame shop nearby your location.......

Return to “Frame & Fittings”