Correct finish for Clutch rocker pedal and brake pedal

50Hydra
Bikes: 1950 FL Hydra Glide
1992 Sportster Deluxe

Correct finish for Clutch rocker pedal and brake pedal

Post by 50Hydra »

At some stage over the last 60 years somebody converted my '50 FL to footshift. I'm currently acquiring all the correct original parts to restore it to it's former hand shift glory. The OEM rocker clutch pedal I just bought is in good condition but it is showing it's 60 years in the looks department. My bike has a chrome brake pedal, however i have seen pictures of restored '50 Hydra Glides which have black clutch and brake pedals. I want to finish it correctly, so can somebody tell me if it should be black, or was chrome an option? I may need to get my brake pedal refinished in black if there was no chrome option.

Thanks guys

Jayson
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Correct finish for Clutch rocker pedal and brake pedal

Post by Bigincher »

The "correct" finish is Parkerized, for both the clutch rocker assembly, and the brake pedal assembly-- including the backing plates. If you really want to get all the finishes right (and all other aspects as well) pick up a copy of Bruce Palmer's "How To Restore Your Harley-Davidson". It's considered the "Bible" for correct restoration work (and full of other shop tips as well). It's readily availble (check Amazon) and cheap-- around $30.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”