Bikes: 55 pan

Re: 55 Pan Tool Box Bracket

Post by hibuck1 »

i emailed them they dont make one yet
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Seems kinda strange that they produce complete frames frame scratch, but don't offer a 54-57 tool box mount. I have purchased this part in the past, but can't remember who markets it....bosheff
hibuck1

Post by hibuck1 »

if u remember let me know thxs
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Whats wrong with the V-Twin ones? http://www.vtwinmfg.com/catalogs/cyr/pdf/581.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hibuck1

Post by hibuck1 »

r they closest to original ?
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Yes, the V-twin toolbox brackets are quite decent, actually. When you weld it on the frame, the front of the toolbox should be exactly 7/8" from the rear of the oil tank.
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

Bigincher wrote:Yes, the V-twin toolbox brackets are quite decent, actually. When you weld it on the frame, the front of the toolbox should be exactly 7/8" from the rear of the oil tank.
I just welded a V-twin replica toolbox bracket on my '50 frame. It didn't quite match the remains of the original welds, rather it fit approximately 1/4" further forward. I don't have the toolbox yet, and the bike is completely disassembled, so I'm hoping it's close enough to the right place. Hope, hope hope...
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Panshovevo wrote:
Bigincher wrote:Yes, the V-twin toolbox brackets are quite decent, actually. When you weld it on the frame, the front of the toolbox should be exactly 7/8" from the rear of the oil tank.
I just welded a V-twin replica toolbox bracket on my '50 frame. It didn't quite match the remains of the original welds, rather it fit approximately 1/4" further forward. I don't have the toolbox yet, and the bike is completely disassembled, so I'm hoping it's close enough to the right place. Hope, hope hope...
I spent a lot of time measuring this dimension while at Dixon last year, while I was in the middle of my frame restoration (1952FL). I consistantly got the same dimension, 7/8". Well okay, once in awhile 3/4", but you never know the history of a motorcycle when you're kneeling down beside it. So call it somewhere between 3/4" and 7/8", given the variables..... I wouldn't fuss too much over an 1/8".
If you mount the toolbox too far forward, you run the risk of the oil feed line interferring with the tool box. My suggestion would be to aquire the toolbox, then do a mockup--- you will need to mount up the oil tank / battery tray / rear fender bracket assembly, and the rear fender. Then mount up the toolbox; and take that dimension. Better to check all that stuff before painting the frame. Matter of fact, I did a full mockup after having extensive work done to my frame, just to check how everything fit. It was a happy day...!
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

Bigincher wrote:
Panshovevo wrote:
I spent a lot of time measuring this dimension while at Dixon last year, while I was in the middle of my frame restoration (1952FL). I consistantly got the same dimension, 7/8". Well okay, once in awhile 3/4", but you never know the history of a motorcycle when you're kneeling down beside it. So call it somewhere between 3/4" and 7/8", given the variables..... I wouldn't fuss too much over an 1/8".
If you mount the toolbox too far forward, you run the risk of the oil feed line interferring with the tool box. My suggestion would be to aquire the toolbox, then do a mockup--- you will need to mount up the oil tank / battery tray / rear fender bracket assembly, and the rear fender. Then mount up the toolbox; and take that dimension. Better to check all that stuff before painting the frame. Matter of fact, I did a full mockup after having extensive work done to my frame, just to check how everything fit. It was a happy day...!
If you have followed my post on frame welding, you probably realize I'm going to need to do a mockup assembly for more reasons than the toolbox. I've done a great deal of welding on the seatpost/motormount area, and even though I used fixtures to try to maintain alignment, it will be interesting to see what fits and what doesn't, when the welding and stress relieving is done.

Regards,
John
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Heres one too. :) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-D ... 3f0363dab3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Frame & Fittings”