swing arm pivot bolt

Billpan58
Inactive member
Bikes: 58FL
99M2Buell
89Sporty

swing arm pivot bolt

Post by Billpan58 »

disasembled swing arm tonite,had alot of movement in rear wheel when on jack,now i'm wondering if the hole pivot bolt enters trough on right side has become enlarged over time[58 fl],when bolt is almost touching threads it [threaded end]will move up and down the width of the threads,i'm guessing there is a least 3to5 thousands on each side of pivot bolt once engaged in the threads. seems like that could translate into movement of the swing arm once assembled? hopefully hole won't have to be bored and bushed.starting to think i opened a can of worms,as my buddy w/shop said. any tips would be appreciated,hope to have back running for the weekend.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: swing arm pivot bolt

Post by Bosheff »

If yer sayin that with the pivot bolt installed, ya got a bunch of slack in the threaded side of the frame, then no this isn't right. Any amount of slop in the pivot bolt will be magnified/multiplied a bunch when swingarm and wheel are installed and the swingarm is loaded and put through its arch. The non threaded side of the pivot bolt should fit snug in the right side mounting lug. See if you can install the pivot bolt's threaded side first through the non threaded mount on the frame's right side. To do this you will have to start it out in between the mounting lugs on the frame. I'm not sure if this is possible, but if you can do this you can check the fitment of the pivot bolt in the frame without having the threaded end engaged. Also, how bout the bearings in the wheel hub? I've Heli-coiled a few frames in this area without a problem....bosheff
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

If it is slop in the threaded portion, V-Twin makes a .025 oversize self-taping swingarm bolt, part # 44-0082. Never used one, but might be worth a look.
Billpan58
Inactive member
99M2Buell
89Sporty

Post by Billpan58 »

slop is on right side[non threaded side] just put bolt in and tightened to probalaly about how it will be when installed no slop in threade end or any movement at entry end,i'll look through our knowledge base to see if there is mention of the inner dia. of the entry hole? if any one knows please post,thanks,bill picked up a good deal today new progessive 412 shocks for 200.00,i was happy been needing shocks for a long time. going to pan mach.Motor builder buddy tommorow to have new pivot bolt[thinking maybe stainless,plus stainless spacers, any one think of a reason not to use stainless? old stuff coroded despite grease] made.
Billpan58
Inactive member
99M2Buell
89Sporty

Post by Billpan58 »

just found complete complete pivot bolt kit locally, hard to believe going after it ,maybe back whole today!
Billpan58
Inactive member
99M2Buell
89Sporty

Re: swing arm pivot bolt Fixed

Post by Billpan58 »

ended up putting a 5 thous. shim around pivot bolt to grt rid of slop in entry whole, test drove today all better,also put 90 zerk in and pumped swing arm full of grease.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

That swing arm holds a bunch of grease don't it....bosheff
Billpan58
Inactive member
99M2Buell
89Sporty

Post by Billpan58 »

hopefully it will stay in better shape being submerged in grease.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”