crash bar foot pegs ?

rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

crash bar foot pegs ?

Post by rodklop »

Just picked up a 48 - 50 crash bar with folding foot pegs. I believe the large nut and lock wash. and hinge bolt were parkerized, but what about the foot peg and clamp. Were these parkerized or painted black.
Can't seem to find any info on them. Thanks for any input....Rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: crash bar foot pegs ?

Post by john HD »

looks like oem hardware.

i wonder if it would be pictured in a period accessory catalog.

john
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

They show up in my 1956 Accessory Catalog, page 29. Appear to be for W or K models, but apparantly not for Big Twins.

rodklop

Post by rodklop »

Hi guys...thanks for the replys. Half way down the accessory catalog is listed Safety Guard Footrests #49100-34 in cad plate finish. I wonder if that's what I have......Rod
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Are you certain that these folding foot pegs are Genuine H-D accessories?....bosheff
katto
Bikes: 1948 panhead

Post by katto »

Rod, You will love them. As I have them on my 1950 & 1948! ALLSO I have collected them for years have a few sets; I had never seen them in Parkerising thow.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Page 19 of my 49 accessory catalog lists the footrest #13344-41 for big twin models and #11241-29 for 45 models. Doesn't list the finish though. Drawings only that llok like the pegs you posted. Suppose that might vary like other finishes on parts as the years changed?
rodklop

Post by rodklop »

Thanks again for all the input...I should have mentioned that they were rusty when I got them and I
blasted and parkerized them just to preserve them.
Katto..what finish have you found them in? cad plate, paint or rust? .....thanks Rod
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Rod,
Those foot rests were furnished over a number of years and were mounted in various places depending on the year and model. They were manufactured by Anderson, the mounting hardware came from Harley. And, they came in both Cad and Park, but mostly Cad.

The WLs used them as passenger footrests for both the buddy seat or the Lystette seat (tandem), parkerized finish on the military models, cad on civilian.

I have a set on my '47 WL mounted on the rear of the floor board side stap for when I have the buddy seat mounted. They are also quite handy as an alternate foot rest position when riding solo, so I leave them on there all the time (just lazy I guess).

I would guess that any of those that were mounted forward on the crash bar were cadmium, both the footrest and the hardware.

jmho

mike
katto
Bikes: 1948 panhead

Post by katto »

rodklop wrote:Thanks again for all the input...I should have mentioned that they were rusty when I got them and I
blasted and parkerized them just to preserve them.
Katto..what finish have you found them in? cad plate, paint or rust? .....thanks Rod
Mostly crome and cad. Havent found enny painted. I have mounted them on the front crash bar; on the out side. It makes it easy to flip doun with your foot while riding. When on the inside I felt like I was huging the tanks whith my legs.I use the crome balls too, just to dress em up! Rod yours look just fine in a Parker. finnish! Get em on and putt them back in the wind, ware they belong! Katto
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Mountin em on the inside of the "Crash Bar" makes it somewhat difficult to git yer feet down in a hurry if ya need to....bosheff
rodklop

Post by rodklop »

Thanks guys...I'm going to leave them parkerized for now and mount them on the outside of the bars..Rod
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

FlatHeadSix wrote: They were manufactured by Anderson, the mounting hardware came from Harley. mike
With all due respect, Mike, I have several sets of Anderson pegs, and they are nothing like those shown. Does you experience tell you that Anderson made various styles of pegs? I have only seen the cast aluminum style. Just curious...

Return to “Frame & Fittings”