Removing and installing handlebar grips

james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Removing and installing handlebar grips

Post by james »

I know there are several ways to remove panhead grips and several ways to install.
What are your versions? I'm sure there are many.
How do you keep them from twisting loose after sitting in the sun?

jim
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Removing and installing handlebar grips

Post by mbskeam »

iv'e used rubber cement, and car door seal adhesive....
to get them off, I shoot lacquer thinner up under the grip, it will loosen up and it comes right off....
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Or you could get some 1501C Griplock, made by ThreeBond, works like a charm...Mike
Bill Golightly
Bikes: rigid frame '62 Pan
'09 cvo road glide

Post by Bill Golightly »

I only use rubber grips, but a spray or brake cleaner into the grip will always work. The fluid will provide a little lubrication for the grip to slide, but it will almost immediately evaporate, and the grip is there forever.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Bill Golightly wrote:I only use rubber grips, but a spray or brake cleaner into the grip will always work. The fluid will provide a little lubrication for the grip to slide, but it will almost immediately evaporate, and the grip is there forever.

tried your brake kleen method today, works great.
thanks jim.
Idaho Jim
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 WL

Post by Idaho Jim »

Back in the day, we used to put the grips on our flattrack and TT bikes by cleaning the bar and the inside of the grips with lacquer thinner. Then, we'd put a long spiral wrap (for just a single thickness) of friction (cloth) tape around the fitment area of the bar. Trim up the tape so the grip would cover and nothing would get fouled up in the twist grip. You start the grip onto the bar while your buddy gives the other end of the handlebar a good blast of compressed air -- sealed with a shop rag. At the same time, you hold your hand over the little hole in the outer end of the grip and push. It glides right on. Comes off easy the same way. Of course, if it really gives you trouble, you go with the 3M 8001 Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. Like the man said. :) We also used to put motors together with the 8001. Good stuff. Maybe the only way known to man to keep a Triumph from bleeding to death on your shop floor.

Something about using stuff that was made for it -- like Griplock -- seems wrong to me. :)

Jim

Return to “Frame & Fittings”