1954-1957 frame

VintageTwin

1954-1957 frame

Post by VintageTwin »

frame back
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VT

Frame Status

Post by VT »

Kirk
I think we have your frame good now. There is about 3/16" between the seat post and the rear head. The engine is level and the top mount fits good. If OK with you I will send it
back.
Two photos attached.
Don
Last edited by VT on Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
VT

Post by VT »

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:38 am?? ?Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better put a motor in there to make sure it fits," suggested John White, NY, in 1997. "Nah...nah...it's been engineered and blueprinted", the factory replied. When we finally got the STD motor built (at San Diego H-D. Thanx, NY Myke), in '98, I got a call from Stett. "We've got a problem....somethings wrong with the frame...the front of the STD motor hangs 1/2" above the front motor mount". So, I sent the frame back to NY and we received word back..."Motor now fits". I only let another 6 yrs go by and then tried to put an OE Pan motor into the frame. Everything seemed to be about a 1/4" off. The gear cover ribs on the motor tilted downward. So, I sent the frame back again and it came back as "adjusted". Motor would sit level in the frame now, but the slightly wider '56 rear head would hit the seat post (Pics on the "'54-57 Frame Adjustment" post). So, I sent the frame back again, and now there is clearance, even enough for the probably wider still, faux STD heads that they are using in these pics (good enough heads for a mock-fit. Keep them on a chain, right there in the staging area. That empty crankcase too. We needed them there in '97). Thanks from all of us in builder-land.
Never ONCE did the factory mention cutting or welding on the frame. They knew their foundation was solid. All was engineered and blueprinted and that everything that was suppose to be built into the frame was there, and only needed to be "re-arranged." It took three attempts to get it right. But they now know what it takes. Happy trails.
(56220-53) Throttle spirals are the next task. All the AM ones need overboring down the i.d., and channel deepening, maybe more.
VT

Post by VT »

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:38 pm?? ?Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well it's about time your frame got fixed. It should have been right when you bought it. To me a guy would build a frame complete, then if any changes were needed they would be done on #2; and when it was all good, then I'd bend all the tubes. Not make them in batches of 50.
??? ??? ??? yeah, I been getting some riding in. All local. haven't gone to any events. Maybe I'll shoot up to Laconia. That place can be alot of fun. Every time I've been there it's been crazy. It's like 6 hrs. from here. Well that's how long it takes with all the traffic, tolls, and the group to eat, drink, buy supplies, get gas, stop to stretch, and all the bullshit it takes to get 8 guys on?Shovels there. You know. -JW
VT

Lower Gas Tank Mount

Post by VT »

Kirk
Your frame is on it's way back. It left here on Friday. I checked your frame carefully
to make sure you had no more problems. In doing so, I didn't like the lower tank mount.
We have a better one now than at the time your frame was made. Since you are going
to paint the frame anyway, I decided to change it.
You should receive it about Friday.
Don
VT

'54-57 Frame Mods

Post by VT »

It looks as though fitment problems were worked out by compressing the bottom (seat post) support plates. The rear cylinder motor fitment was made possible by altering the top of the seat post. Looks like it was moved back 1/8", then nicely re-welded. Bottom tank mount was replaced. Zen-full bead they laid down. Looks like the top of the transmission support posts were milled. I'm loading the motor and bolting on every attachable appurtenance before I strip it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VT on Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
VT

Post by VT »

A couple more:

Return to “Frame & Fittings”