Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Lower neck bearing

Post by Skip »

Hey guys I'm having trouble getting the lower neck bearing off my front end...I HAD to call the local harley shop...I feel I need to gargle after each time I do...and they told me to use a chisel to get under it and then keep going bigger until I get it slid off...then freeze the neck and heat the bearing to slide it back on????For some reason nothing in this question makes sense to me...any ideas? Thanks Skip
harleydoug

Re: Lower neck bearing

Post by harleydoug »

Are you talking about the #48311-60 head cup, or the #48315-60 timkin bearing race.??
To get the timking bearing race out of the cup, just weld a bead on the face of the race and when it cools, it will fall out. To get the head cup out of the frame, the big hammer and chisel is about the only way. To put the head cup or timkin race back in, use a Jim's steering head race installer. (drag specialties # ds-198625) Yes, they can be hammered back in, but they usually wind up bith beauty marks on them. The freezer and heat trick works well if you get the neck warm enough and work quickly.
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

I have the bearing stuck on the neck rod...cup and race no problem...bearing is a bitch.
harleydoug

Post by harleydoug »

I use an air chisle for that one. It's better than the hammer and chisle by a long shot. To put the bearing back on,(timkin #48300-60) put it in a tuna can filled with oil and heat it on a hot plate for a half hour. Pick the bearing up with an expanding snap ring pliers and simply drop it over the shaft. The timking bearing will expand enough to pass freely down the shaft to the bottom. Of course you can always drive it on with a long punch, but I keep getting those nasty beauty marks on the bearing cage and have to start all over.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

if you are not saving the old bearing you can cut it off with a die grinder(carbide bit) it will cut right through the bearing. cut almost all the way and then use a chisel in the cut groove and the race will pop, then it will slide right off.
done this on many pressed on bearings when I have not had a puller or can not get under it.

mbskeam
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

thanks guys...wish I'd have asked 2 days ago...Skip

Return to “Frame & Fittings”