V-Twin Wishbone Frame Replica

Db

V-Twin Wishbone Frame Replica

Post by Db »

I have read a few posts on this board concerning the quality of the parts supplied by Tedd Cycle (V-Twin Mfg.) in regards to their somewhat "new" replica knuck/pan parts.

My interest is in purchasing the P/N 51-1015 Wishbone Frame Replica 53-54 type.

Will a frame ordered now (11/2005) be subject to the engine / transmission fitment problems noted by others in prior posts, or have these problems been fixed?

I am going to use this frame on a custom pan build, not a replica job. I am NOT going to hack this $1700 frame however, so I want the ting to work as sold.

I also would like to use V-Twin's :

16" Star Type Wheels / Axles

F/R Drum Brake Setups (complete)

Center Fill Oil Tank

I would like to know if I will be spending my $$$ in the right place .

Thanks
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

1. Their wheels are great and spin true. The labor for lacing is a separate part number. The s/s spokes are Buchanan.
2. The frames should have the motor and transmission installed immediately. Check for complete motor fit. Check for front motor mount tab shim height (mine took a 0.012" shim under the right front mount tab). Check for top motor mount correct placement. Check to see that the frames transmission support (pedestal) is not like an 1/8" too high, striking the bottom of the trans early and preventing the trans from seating completely along the right hand side of the base plate under it (that's where I'm stuck now, but then my frame was from '97) Check for tranmission line-up with rear frame axle gussets. Check for correct thread pitch in the electrical junction box (seat post) mount lugs.
3. Don't buy V-Twins '49-59 fork cups. None exist yet, they are being made and may make it in the '06 catalog. Until then Mark Blankenship makes them. We have his phone number. Ask.
4. The Glide front brake side cover tilts when installed, and needs a little grinding on the pivot stud boss.
5. The brakes shoes V-Twin sells sometimes are oversize and won't fit into the drums. Buy the shoes from Kick-Start (616) 245-8991 10-5 EST, or anyone that you can actually talk to on the phone who knows something.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Vintage Twin, can you send me the phone number for the the guy who sells the fork cups please. Thx
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Mark Blankenship (AMCA affil.) (304) 697-1445 (9-5 EST), leave message or call him on weekdays between 4-5 p.m. for '49-59 fork cups.
You provide races # 07196 and bearings # 07100.
Prepare "press" ops, freeze races, press into room-temp cups, recess flush-race 1/8" into cup bottom, with the top rim of an old race (flipped).

Post by Guest »

VT, when you state dont use tedd cycle 49-59 fork cups, is this for someone doing a ballbearing restoration quality build, or is there a specific cup and race for this frame? I am doing a bobber build, will just the regular HD Timken cups and bearings work?

Thanks
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

There are the springer ball bearings and cups '36-48. There are two types of Pan cups. '49-59 (16) rollers and '60-up (19) rollers. The '60 up will "work", that's why their advertised '48-up. The 60-up cups are 1/16" taller, making the headstock 1/8" taller and the '49-59 fork tins won't line up with the top tree mount holes. You need Marks cups if you want stock tin.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

I have complete sets of '60-up bearings and cups w/ races for sale. Cad or chrome.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”