Holes in swingarm

65 Eric
Inactive member

Holes in swingarm

Post by 65 Eric »

Hey everyone, fng here, I just registered today and want to say I 'm impressed as hell with all the knowledge that you guys (and gals?) have. Never been to a forum before, barely know how to work this thing but I'll get it. I've bought a 65 FLH and have took it down to the frame and noticed two small holes approx. .060 dia. near each bearing of the swingarm. The holes are on the bottom and aren't covered by the races or anything. The grease fitting is in the middle. What purpose could they possibly have? (besides greasing my rear tire) any help?
thx,
Eric
nickpipe

Re: Holes in swingarm

Post by nickpipe »

Been a long time since I had the swing arm off but I think there to let water excape.......I could be wrong but...........
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Water, air, and grease itself.
Pumping grease through a zirque into a contained volume would instantly pop the seals.
Once grease has filled the holes, water is excluded, hopefully.

....Cotten
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

Hey Eric, hope to see you out riding, we're neighbors, I'm in San Dimas. Lot's of great info here, whatever you have a ? about you can find an answer here. Good luck with your Pan and maybe I'll get to see it on the road someday. Bob
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Post by 03Roadking »

mtnspan I was going to post the same thing I'm over here in La Habra If you guys are ever heading this way send me a PM and I will try and meet you I took the Pan to Cooks corner yesterday (have you been there?) the only pan there Guy walks by with his buddy and I hear him say I really like those repop kickers ;D got to love it
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

RUBS.... ya gotta love'um........LOL

mbskeam
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

03RoadKing, that's too funny. I know what you mean. I had a guy pull up beside me the other day and say "cool bike man that's old school, what the hell is it" I'm still laughing about it.
Mbskeam, you got that right!!
Eric D

Post by Eric D »

thanks all, it's coming along real good and I hope to fire it up in a couple weeks, I learned here that I could use my old (99)CV carb instead of spending a lot on an S&S. thanks again guys and I'll get in touch with you local's when I get'er done and maybe we'll take a putt.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”