Duo-Glide center stand

azpaul50
Bikes: *

Duo-Glide center stand

Post by azpaul50 »

I've been out in our 110 degree weather putting a center stand on the '63. All I have to go by is a picture of a '60 with one installed I found in a book. I attached it using longer bolts on the forward muffler support bolt location. Now, when I swing it up to engage the clasp, it hits the bolt the holds the rear crash bar lower flange. The clasp is supposed to engage the muffler support to hold it up and that doesn't look even near lined up either. Could it be that the stand goes on the same bolts that hold the lower crash bar flange? Meanwhile, there is something special about the muffler support on '63's...something about a spacer which seems to be there. I don't even know how to phrase a question about this voodoo! Anyway, it is hot tamales for today and I quit. Any advise is appreciated.

Progress! I took a better looks at the parts breakdown and the rear muffler support bar bolt goes with the head facing inboard to the bike. The forward bolt supporting the stand pivot bolt is the opposite. They rear bolt was installed outboard so the little extra bolt sticking out interfered! So I put them in right and now the stand swings up fine! BUT....the clasp is still about 1 1/2 inches inboard from the muffler support bar. I thought this bike had not been taken apart before but apparently, it has!

It seems like the only was to line things up is to turn the right muffler support bar over. Looking down on the tire and support bars, you go from (I) to (I( in order to pull the right bar closer to the frame. Then the center stand clasp clicks on perfectly. BUT, this sure seems weird!!!

Will anyone with a '63 or '64 FL duo take a look at their muffler support bars for me, please. Do they bow outward from the wheel, inward, or one of each. If you have a center stand, what does the clasp cling to if not the support bar? I'm the only person in town out here in the desert with such a bike and nobody seems to know around here. I've got an old Clymer's coming but that is still a few days off.
jed

Re: Duo-Glide center stand

Post by jed »

azpaul....

Yes, the clip attaches to the right muffler support, and the support must bow inward going back. Do you have all correct hardware for the stand? There are bushings that sleeve the bolts. I have an original HD instruction sheet for installing the center stand...I could scan it and send it along to you if you'd like. I remember per the instructions that I had to drill an existing 5/16" hole in the frame on the left side out to 3/8" where the bolts for the stand go thru.
I'll have to find the instruction sheet, but if you'd be interested let me know.
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

Ahah!!! I wasn't crazy after all!!! I do have the bushings and I can now report, with some relief, that I drilled out the left side hole so the bolt would go in just because that was the only way it seemed to work!. I didn't want people to know the Texas Chain Saw Pan Killer was out here drilling holes in his bike! One last confirming question....does the LEFT side muffler support stay bowed outward or do I turn that around too? I am sooooo grateful for this confirmation. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
jed

Post by jed »

Yea it felt like butchery to me too! But, with OEM accessories.....glad you were on the right track figuring out what had to be done. You will like the center stand. It makes the bike easier to start.
As far as the left muffler support...I don't have a dual exhaust so I don't know exactly which way it should go, but it should only work one way...the book says that the left and right side muffler supports are 2 different part #'s but I'm actually running a left support on the right side with no problem.
It would take me a month to find that sheet because of boxes still piled from a recent move, but sounds like you've about got it. Good luck!
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

jed- I ended up flipping over the other side so both are now bowed inward. This caused the fishtails to now be a lot closer together. Then I lucked out and saw a pic in the resto book of my exact model and they were indeed in the place where mine were (now). Before, they lined up center of each saddlebag. Now they are inside. But, now I disturbed the exhaust system so I had leaks all over. The former owner had screw-clamped over each connection point and I took the "incorrect" clamps off. Actually, it leaked about the same either way. So, I did the muffler gunk thing at each connection (duals) and it works okay. Of course, I've only ridden the bike a few miles since so who knows. anyway, thanks for your help!

Return to “Frame & Fittings”