Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Motor mount thread repair

Post by LittleAl »

This week I'm gonna try and get my frame to the welder. Any good suggestions I could make to him on repairing this motor mount? The threads are totally shot and elongated into an egg shape although it doesn't show well in the picture. The only other welding repair needed is to have the tool box mount welded back on. I bought it from NOSParts and it arrived today.
leftfrontmount2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

Re: Motor mount thread repair

Post by hjans »

if it was mine i would drill the threads out , drill a hole , insert screws or threads from the back and weld it up.
Just an idea !
You also could grind anything off the frame and duplicate the lot from scratch ( the steel plate with the threads that is !)

Hans
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

al,

a company called race frame from austraila makes perfect replacement frame parts (read expensive) and sells them on ebay. you can also buy direct from their web site.

otherwise, i would remove what is left of the studs, weld up the bad holes, drill then tap new threads.

john
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

I'll let my welder make the final decision on the best approach. He's saved my ass quite a few times.

Probably will drill out and insert Helicoil or Time-sert, maybe from the motor side, have him weld it up including fixing the existing studs and then grind/sand/file the shape back on the top front edge. maybe make a template of it before he even starts. My big concern is that the threads wind up precisely where their supposed to be so no twists, turns or stress on the motor

Return to “Frame & Fittings”