can someone measure their sidecar loops?

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

can someone measure their sidecar loops?

Post by john HD »

hey guys,

one of the last projects i need to do is to recreate my side car loops on my frame. my bike is a '55 FL

a buddy of mine just purchased a vintage south bend lathe. i thought this would be a good project to break it in.

i need to know the O.D. and I.D. and the width. a rough idea of the outside curve would be helpful too.

i plan to turn a pair and then cut them to match what i have left on my frame then weld them in place.

thanks in advance.

john
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Re: can someone measure their sidecar loops?

Post by Ripley/Fla »

My bike is a "56" but has a wishbone frame? They are 1 inch wide. I.D. is .930 to .936. At the thickest wall it is 5/16" thick. Mine doesn't have a curve on the outside. It has a casting parting line about 5/16" in from the outside. It tapers down from this 'center' to 1/4" wall thickness at each end. So the angles are different one is shallow, one deep. I don't have my camera but maybe someone can post a picture. If I was doing it I would turn a tube, fit it to whatever is left on the frame - and then hand grind the part that you 'see' to look like an original casting. With some unevenness or character! If you don't plan on running a sidehack, you might consider brazing the part in place. You will be able to shape it with the rod and it will be easy to grind and file. Again a picture would help. Good Luck!
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Post by hydra74 »

i measured my frame and they are about the same as ripley here some pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

thanks guys!

that is exactly what i needed to know!

john
john HD

Post by john HD »

one quick question.

what direction is the long taper? is it to the outside or inside?

john
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Post by hydra74 »

do you mean the casting line on the outside of the loop? if so it go's to the outside

the photo's with the measuring tool shows the left loop
john HD

Post by john HD »

update,

here is the raw material for the loops. more to follow after i saw them up and begin the jigging and welding process.

thanks for the info guys!

john
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

looks good....
when I did mine I used 15/16 set-collers way before the internet...LOL

mbskeam
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Post by Ripley/Fla »

Wow! You certainly don't mess around! I hope you read this because I might have been talking out my ass about the brazing. I did a search about frame welding and am not sure what to do. Future welding over braze equals crack - so you might want to think about it. Anyway produce these rings for others on this sight - they look a lot better than the usual Far East import crap.
john HD

Post by john HD »

ripley,

i got some good friends who get things done pronto!

i will be welding them in place. i just need to decide if i will do it stick or mig. everything on mid 50's frames are welded.

as far as manufacturing them goes, race frame from austraila makes them for about 40 bucks. however i believe their design is more rounded and appropriate for knuckles.

anyone who wants to make them could just copy the photo above and give it to a machine shop to make their own. or buy them from race frame. they also make very nice repair forgings if you want to replace the whole part.

i will be roughing them up a bit as suggested to make them look more a part of a casting.

more later!

john

Return to “Frame & Fittings”