stem nut

chuck58pan

stem nut

Post by chuck58pan »

put new cups,race and bearings in/on non adjustable 52 hydraglide . i have a cone bearing-nut with shield that i tightened then top tree. top stem-nut doesn,t seem to thread all the way. i also have head bearing nut that doesn,t appear in my parts book but is in the service manual ,of course no p/n. i would like to try the heavier nut with top dust- shield combo but threads look bad ! does the screw spider spring deal(missing spider) serve any purpose? i tightened the race in the cups with a heavy threaded rod and race tool and wacked them down , the top dust shield didn,t ride high so im thinking they are in far enough. i can count at least 4 threads not turned-on the top stem-nut. thanks, chuck
VT

Re: stem nut

Post by VT »

Post a pic of what you have and get an answer quick. You want the top dust shield/cog wheel combo nut. The castellated stem nut has a leading shoulder that fits exactly into the top tree hole. Post a pic.
If everybody asked santa for a camera, we could solve problems faster and have a photo record for the Knowledge Base.
Find a camera, like Nikon®, that has 24/7, 365 lifetime-free support. I bought a CoolPix 4300 in 2005 and have tried to kill it, but can't.
Set the camera on "basic" resolution (for emails and websites) and turn off the flash. Use a tripod and timed auto-shutter. Bounce light off a piece of white cardboard onto the subject. Play around with it. Try to put as much "picture of the problem" into it.
Post the lo-rez pic to this site using the pic-posting feature.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
That spur thing leaves you without a dust cover. I don't know when or on what the spur thing was used, maybe on an adjustable fork. They sell the spur and cover combo though. Cad or zinc.
That spur thing comes with the "complete fork kit" red shrink card from V-Twin. IMO, it's a useless part.
Last edited by VT on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

A pic of the nut and top shield piece would be cool. I am missing the shield, that little spur nut I got came without it. Maybe I should tac one on with a wire feed? Need to see the set up first, yes, a pix would tell a thousand words as they say...Joe
Lethal Farce
Inactive member
Bikes: 48 FL 42 WLA

Post by Lethal Farce »

Hi Chuck,
I think I can help with the top nut. Mine was missing, and I picked up a new parkerized version from Colony. I could not get it to start (turn on) the stem. The threads looked good and Matt at WTT suggested that the park was too thick. He made it sound like it was a common problem. I took a dremel w/ a small wire brush and cleaned the inside up. Threaded on fine after that.
LF
chuck58pan

Post by chuck58pan »

I wrote something forgot to submit ,so here goes again . thanks for the tip on the parker, it is a new nut and i hadn,t thoughtof that. the pix i will take a stab at.the nut that i was hoping to use as bearing cone nut turns out to be a springer top nut. i may use it in conjuntion with the bearing cone nut . it seems that the bottom nut will protrude up into the top tree and the springer nut down. I have been hacking away at the stem threads with thread file and small triangle-file i am on the fence about getting the 1x24 die and a bigger die-stock. thanks again, chuck
VT

Post by VT »

frkcup64201qp5.jpg
Your set up on you '51 non-adjustable forks should look like this. Don't add any extra parts. Just remember one thing:
If your going to replace the lower dust cover and lower cup bearing.......don't forget to install the lower dust cover before you install the lower bearing.
I know it seems too simple, but once you get moving on installing parts and you're all in a hurry, drinking coffee with the music playing, thinking about how easy it's all going together, you'll end up driving that lower bearing and get all through only to find the lower dust cover sitting on the bench, and then you get to buy another lower bearing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”