Restoring raked frame

Kuda
Bikes: *

Restoring raked frame

Post by Kuda »

If a frame has been raked (guestimate to about 40 degrees), what's the best way to de-rake it? I see two options: 1) buy a neck forging (~$450) and have it welded in, or 2) just have a good frame shop de-rake it. Pros, cons? Thanks all...

-Kuda
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Restoring raked frame

Post by Cotten »

The aspects to consider are your resource$, the skill of your welder, and your expectations.

If the rest of the frame can be restored to 'correct', then it is probably worth the expense of a quality headstock replacement. Your welder must be aware, however, of the proper method of saving the original tubing that extends within the original headstock for strength and safety. (Cutting and 'slugging' as commonly performed on frames that have had the headstock sawed off, should be avoided. Only the spine cut back by the rear tank tabs must be slugged.)

Often, if the rakejob was properly done in the first place, a pro can return it to reasonable safety at a more reasonable cost. But rarely would it fool anyone as un-altered. If your expectations do not include a stock appearance, then go for it!
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

I had mine de-raked by a local shop. Like Cotten said: it's not going to fool anyone into thinking that it is a stock frame, but it's back to stock configuration. It looks good and I'm happy with it.

Here's a link to my web site that shows the frame restore job: http://www.57panhead.com/ProgRept3.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A third option, that you did not mention, is to purchase a reproduction frame. They're pricey ($1700 bucks last time I checked a couple years ago), but they are made to the exact specs of the original and these frames would fool someone into thinking they are original. Well... maybe not Cotten, but the rest of us. ;)
Kuda

Post by Kuda »

Post by Kuda on Aug 24, 2005, 6:52pm

Daaayum! That's *exactly* what I'd like to get done, right down to the relocated seat bracket (solo seat I'm guessing?). And scarily enough, the before picture (with the side plates welded in) looks exactly like this one. It's a damn good job, but it's just waaaay too raked. Any contact info on the shop you mentioned? I'm in MD, near DC, so if anyone's got any suggestions on frame shops around here I'm all ears....

-Kuda
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Kuda try asking Ed at MDO in the airpark in Gaithersburg. You could ask who he suggests and check out some pans and shovels while you are there. He also has many OEM parts for sale and on display and shop space available if you want to work on it there.

57 I like your site and wish I would have documented my bike as well as you did.
kell

Post by kell »

Hey 57pan ol' boy, point me towards the software or whatever you used to make that web page, will ya?
Kuda

Post by Kuda »

"Kuda try asking Ed at MDO in the airpark in Gaithersburg. "
I know Ed well, he's a great guy, and that's where I get all my parts. But he doesn't play with frames anymore, it's a liability thing...

-Kuda
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

Kuda,

The shop that did my frame is Custom MC, their web site is: http://www.custommcservices.com/default.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They are located in Grand Rapids, MI (actually it is Wyoming, Mi, which is in the Grand Rapids metropolitan area). There's a phone number on their web site - feel free to call them.

I have no idea what it would cost to ship a frame. I recently bought an exhaust system for my truck and because the shipment was oversize and overweight it cost $55 to ship - I'm guessing it would be about that much for a frame too.
rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Post by rigidpanman »

kell,try departure bike works in richmond(804-231-0244).if they cant or wont do the work,ask them if they can put you in touch with jb`s something or another around here.i know he does frame work but i cant locate any way to contact him.good luck
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

yep, lee at departure should be able to set you up. where are you guys talking about out in gaithersburg. i'm pretty new to all this(just love old bikes) and any good place to check out is cool with me. thanks for any info on gaithersburg. i'm in woodbridge,va
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

http://www.mdomoderncycles.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About two blocks from the Harley shop.

Iron Works is between these two, but I don't know much about them. Across the road (124 or woodfield rd, I think) is DC Cruisers. There is a very knowledgeable wrench with a lot of experience working on Pan's, Knuck's and Flat's. Runs through his blood. His dad was an HD wrench that started him out on the old Iron very young. But the shop itself is full of OCC Chops.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

thanks, i'll check it out. rich

Return to “Frame & Fittings”