no key for 56 pan

sprucecreek

no key for 56 pan

Post by sprucecreek »

hello, folks. I'm a newbie....used to drive a 70s sportster, been out of serious riding for 15 years. finally had the chance to get back, and bought a great stock 56 FLH...the bike of my dreams for the last 30 years. We'll see if you can teach an old dog new tricks...

Anyway, found the bike three states away, had it delivered, did the kick start routine (many thanks to the panhead forum members for advice) and....wet sump. Cleaned up the garage, tried again...clean up the garage again. Figured I had a gallon to work with. Anyway, runs like a charm. Now, just need to get used to the foot clutch...nice it was 65 in PA today, got to take it out.

I bought the bike from an estate...the deceased had good taste. But, the kids don't seem to know much, and the bike came without keys. (I suspect they are sitting in a drawer somewhere, and they wonder what they go to.) No problem with the ignition..no tumblers...used a pocket knife. Can order a replacement key for the tool box...but no key for the forks. It would be nice to be able to lock it up in the off chance that i park it out of sight (not much chance of that...but you never know). Anyway, I am sure other folks must have run into this... any advice?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

try these guys:

http://key-men.com/shopping/show_key.ph ... =1098L-OEM

look on the face of the lock core, there should be a letter and a single digit on one side of the key slot and 2 more numbers on the opposite side of the slot, the whole code will be something like B321. Send those guys the code and they'll send you a key.

good luck with the new toy.

mike
sprucecreek

missing key

Post by sprucecreek »

thanks for the quick reply...if I had a 55 or earlier, life would be great and I would have already emailed these guys (thanks for the link). unfortunately, starting in 56, they put a stainless steel cover over the face of the lock, which effectively covers up any numbers. :-(

looks like i will need to get a locksmith to make the key....oh, well, gives me someplace to drive the bike. :-)

Return to “Frame & Fittings”