Re-pop Frame forging/casting numbers

thsmith

Re-pop Frame forging/casting numbers

Post by thsmith »

The V-Twin re-pop wishbone frames look real original, if any of you out there have one of these frames or experience with them know if the forged numbers on the neck are present ?

Thanks,

Tracy
VT

Post by VT »

I have a '54-57 straight leg. They all use the same headstock. No numbers on them. The V-twin frames are made by Corbin-Gentry, CT. Strong as a 1,000 camels in the courtyard. Just don't buy a frame until you have a motor and transmission ready to install, to check for motor base bolt hole alignment and top motor mount alignment. Go for it. Set it side by side with an OE frame and see the difference. Not much, except the weld beads on a re-pop are better than OE (unless of course you like welding splatter-balls around the bottom seat post plates. Only the OE frames have that feature.) :lol:
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

VT, I am referring to forging numbers not VIN numbers. For example on a HD original frome would have XE-35F just below the top mount bracket for the gas tanks on the left side. See

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... eName=WDVW

I was wondering if the V-Twin frames have this number as well.

Thanks,
Tracy
VT

Post by VT »

Pix are valuable info indeed. The wishbone (dog leg) frame is early Pan. This appears to be 61" '37-38 straight leg knuckle frame (except for the 90 degree bend under the steering head, where the speedo cable exits. The '36, 37, 38 head castings were more curved in that area. From the pix, that area looks pretty angle-ish, instead of curve-ish) The XE-35 is not seen on '39 and later frames, don't know about the F designation though. Steering head, if original, would be the 28 degree one, reported to have caused steering problems at speed. Bottom weld around the seat post looks "worked on".
The V-Twin frames have no forging numbers anywhere, only a serial # on the bottom-left seat post support plate, where it bends over the bottom frame rail. You want a V-Twin frame. Thanks for the pix.
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

VT, That was what I needed to know. Now that I have my Palmer I am going over everything on my 1949EL.

I was just curious if the repop frames had a forging number. I do agree the repop frames in V-Twin are very nice and would not have a problem running one but my frame appears to be original and not being a trusting type just wanted to make sure of what I had.

I am now questioning the front end. I will post a picture and would appraciate your opionion. My front end has a boss on the front of both legs like the ones in the back for the drain plug but not drilled and tapped like the rear.

The V-Twin lower legs do not look like they have this boss either so who knows.

Using a maginifiny glass and looking the Palmer it does not appear to be standard.

Thanks again for your answers.

Tracy
VT

Post by VT »

'49 first year questions...h-m-m...I'm not an antiquer. '49 was black legs is about all I know.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

The first year HydraGlide forklegs were unique in that they were sandcast instead of die-cast, as was the brake backing plate as well. The fork sliders also have their part number stamped into them close to the top.

I sure hope Corbin-Gentry makes better frames than their crappy seats!
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

Okay, I think I have found the answer to my fork leg issue. The front end is Harley but does not appear to be 1949. Looking closely at the Palmer and Fields restoration books with a maginifying glass it appears this boss on the lower legs first appeared around 1956 or 57. Not ideal for a 1949 but so far this is the only piece on my 49 that does not look correct.

Thanks for the replies,

Tracy

Return to “Frame & Fittings”