Later Pan Anderson Footpegs

azpaul50
Bikes: *

Later Pan Anderson Footpegs

Post by azpaul50 »

I used a pair of highway pegs I bought some time ago and while taking that footboard pic, got to thinking if the pegs I have are "real." They aren't made of steel and are clearly aluminum as verified with a magnet. Meanwhile, they have the word "Anderson" raised on the inside along with a stamped "W" or "M", depending on how you read it. The ones on my '63 are steel but without any markings at all. I also noted that the connecting bolt diameter is smaller on the '65 set. Go ahead and tell me if I got a fake set. I can take it although the question is more curiosity than intent to change. This is another of those recurring questions I usually get about the '63. Other forums on this subject are a little unclear in consensus other than to describe those of the 40's. Anyone know? - AZP
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Later Pan Anderson Footpegs

Post by RUBONE »

"Anderson" pegs are period aftermarket and were never factory equipment or H-D Accessory pegs.
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

I went through 1960 through 1966 H-D accessory catalogs and find similar looking pegs for each year. 52652-29 in the 1960 catalog and changed to 49100-58 by the '63 catalog through '66, my last reference. Going by recollection, I don't think I ever found past discussion that said "Harley" was stamped on any of the versions. Looking closely, I noticed that the Harley pegs illustrations have three rows of nubs while the set on my '65 (raised "Anderson") has four rows with each nub being much smaller. I know I didn't get any from J&P, V-Twin etc in the past but their current repops look just like the Harley (3-rows). Palmer doesn't say anything. Sorry to bother everyone with this "nit, nit" stuff but I know other people ask about small stuff they've heard about relating to vintage Harleys.... RH-55, T-3s, DH-49, Eaton and Anderson etc... I'm really the only old bike guy in the entire county that rides to events and find that these questions are some type of credibility check from interested spectators. The baby boomer snowbirds are especially interested and show up at my door wanting tours! REALLY! In fact that's true of most of my other stuff since many are unusual here. I would hope to spark more local interest in old bikes here (county population 200,000 rising to 300,000 each winter) as a legacy but I'm hardly the best representative. You guys make me look smarter lololol... I already have the Blonde for style! lololol.... I'm sure I'll be asking more serious questions once I get my '63 into repair, making sure I get the best parts. I agree with the consensus I read here about most everything mechanical. Even though Blondie says I need to sell it rather than have two pans, I would want the next guy to get something worthwhile rather than thrown together for resale. It doesn't help vintage bike interests to pass around junk at least that's what I think. As usual, thanks! - AZP
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The -29 pegs were standard buddy pegs for 45s as well as pegs used on racers,along with any other desired application. They have a specific base that is internally threaded at 3/8-24 to screw onto the mounting rods for the controls. The base on the -58 peg is a larger square block with a stud on it designed to fit the clamps for the crash bars and have better clamping power. Both types are formed steel pegs with the nubs on top. Anderson pegs are cast aluminum and are much narrower than the H-D pegs. Anderson was one of the first pegs sold for universal applications and tons were used on choppers in the '60s and '70s.
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

Then I think I'm okay. I went through a few used eBay sets to find crash bar clamps correct for the period and with the right holes for the smaller stud bolt and different folding block. The next time the name comes up, I can point to the raised letters and say, "See?" All the snowbird Harley guys in brand new leathers will nod their heads in reverence although more are riding those new 3-wheeler whatchamacallers. I feel pretty good today. Next is trying to get the front fender bottom trim (like for early shovels) to fit better. It's a repop and needs to be reformed to the fender at the corners. I used the existing holes and the corners have gaps. I got a metal working hammer and plan to pound that puppy into submission with a round bucking bar. Then comes the mudflap. I guess I'll have to drill through both the trim and fender to get it on the fender firmly. Then comes the gondola which I need to get back on this week before Blondie (my helper) leaves for Colorado x 2 weeks. With this darn throat problem, I can barely whisper as some of you already know. The chemo/focused radiation leaves me a little sick and weak but it ain't too bad. I got more scheduled for this Tuesday. Unfortunately, the pain pills tend to make me blather more than usual.... One more topic and post and I'll let everyone go for today with thanks. I'm not supposed to drive (or ride) for a few more days and stay inside (mostly) out of the sun. This winter may be my last riding season and I want to be ready! You guys are great! - AZP

Return to “Frame & Fittings”