Key Code for Neck/Ignition Tumblers

tcb-1
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 FL

Key Code for Neck/Ignition Tumblers

Post by tcb-1 »

Gang,

When I bought my '50FL, the tumbler for the ignition was free allowing for operation with a trusty screwdriver (no key). While that's nice and convenient, I want to have the tumbler repaired eventually, soooooo..... On the face of the neck lock, there is a 4 digit code, actually a letter, numeral, numeral, numeral code. I wonder if this is the code that a knowledgable locksmith can duplicate a key to. Any ideas?

I know my '60 Cadillac had such a code and was able to get keys made.

Thanks!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Key Code for Neck/Ignition Tumblers

Post by RUBONE »

The tumblers for the ignition on '48-'63 locks do not have pins and plates in them, therefore no key is required. A good locksmith can make it match your fork key. It would not be correct anymore, but peace of mind may be more valuable than correctness. However any key switch is easily overcome, so don't get too confident in it once it is functional.
Robbie
tcb-1
Inactive member

Post by tcb-1 »

Robbie,
Yep, getting an ignition key would be more cosmetic than anything. They appear as if you could have bypassed them with a popsicle stick. However, I would like to have a neck lock key made. I think I'll call my old (operative word old) locksmith tomorrow with the code I found on the neck tumbler and see what he can come up with.
Mr.Big
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Mr.Big »

Read the link........

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthread. ... =lock+keys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oleblu72
Bikes: 63FLH, 98 Buell white lightening,73 Sportster,
Norton,Triumph,Royal Enfield
BSA

Post by oleblu72 »

Mr.Big wrote:Read the link........

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthread. ... =lock+keys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Mr. Big I might give this guy a call I need a couple of keys made.

Mark
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

The Briggs and Stratton locks used on H-D were very common parts shared by many US Car companies. Older lock shops and competent lock smiths were all familiar with them and unless they have modernized and thrown out their info they will have the key codes. I have had keys made and locks repaired in various shops over the years with good results. Even correct key blanks are still plentiful. It is nice when someone does specialize though as it makes it easy.
Robbie
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

If TCB has the correct year/style of ignition switch (no pins) then why would it have any codes on the face of it?
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

If TCB has the correct year/style of ignition switch (no pins) then why would it have any codes on the face of it?
The cylinder would not have codes. However most I've seen are capable of taking the internal parts to make them function and can be matched to his fork lock key, which is coded.
Robbie
tcb-1
Inactive member

Post by tcb-1 »

Good info Mr. Big! Further, when calling around to locksmiths, ask for a Briggs and Stratton (groove #14) key.

I plan on having a key made to neck lock, then moving onto the ignition. I'll dismantle the ignition switch/tumbler next and check it for any codes.
tcb-1
Inactive member

Post by tcb-1 »

Well, the code that was stamped on the neck tumbler head was spot on! My grizzly old locksmith friend was able to cut a trial key (before I have him cut the B&S blanks I'll get) and it worked perfectly.

Now to figure out why the neck lock isn't engaging. Oh well, one thing at a time.

Oh, and btw if your needing a key and don't want to spring for an nos Briggs and Stratton blank, you may also use these equivalents: Curtis B3 or Ilco 1098L.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

tcb-1 wrote:Well, the code that was stamped on the neck tumbler head was spot on! My grizzly old locksmith friend was able to cut a trial key (before I have him cut the B&S blanks I'll get) and it worked perfectly.

Now to figure out why the neck lock isn't engaging. Oh well, one thing at a time.

Oh, and btw if your needing a key and don't want to spring for an nos Briggs and Stratton blank, you may also use these equivalents: Curtis B3 or Ilco 1098L.
Have you had the stem out? If a later lower tree was used, the hole for the lock could be missing, or the lock plunger itself.
tcb-1
Inactive member

Post by tcb-1 »

Panacea,

I believe the neck has never been replaced. However, I cannot confirm. It certainly "looks" like it's never been off, and everything (paint, patina) is a mirror image of the frame.

Since it the fork lock hasn't been used in I don't know how long, could the plunger be stuck? Would a couple of taps with a rubber mallet do anything??
1957eberhart
Bikes: 1957 HARLEY DAVIDSON
2014 HARLEY DAVIDSON

Post by 1957eberhart »

Hello
I have a 1957 fl and have a Briggs and Stratton key number b285 and it only go into the fork lock half way and not in the in at all.Do I have to take the fork lock out of the frame and does anyone know where to get a chrome fork lock cover for my 1957 fl ?
jjohnson1177
Bikes: 1946 EL,1954 KH,1958 FLH,1959 XLH,1960 FLH,1961 FLH,1963 FLH,1979 FXS,2007 FXSTB, 2018 Limited

Post by jjohnson1177 »

Is there any other place to look for the key code?. The cylinders are worn smooth on all 3 of mine and no numbers or letters are showing :( .
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

jjohnson1177 wrote:Is there any other place to look for the key code?. The cylinders are worn smooth on all 3 of mine and no numbers or letters are showing :( .
Your 60,61 And 63 should not have codes stamped in them because the cylinders are empty.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”