Neck Lock

white1j0
Bikes: '02 Fatboy, '47 Knuckle, '52Pan

Neck Lock

Post by white1j0 »

I'm looking at buying a NOS neck lock made by B & S, but there's no pin , spring or plug, anyone know where they can be found, also does that plug press in or is it welded, also if not, anyone know the exact dimensions of the pin, Thanks Whitey
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Neck Lock

Post by 1950Panhead »

Two on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-VINTAGE-HAR ... 4a&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-HARLEY-ORIG ... 7c&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jerry
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

I am not superstitious,
but I omit the spring anyway.

....Cotten
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

The guys in Canada are buying the lock sets from Bill's in Pa. He has sold them forever @ $50.00.
white1j0

Post by white1j0 »

I was out at Bills on Sunday, but his shop was closed,thats where I'm getting the lock from, but what I need is the spring, locking pin and the plug, anyone know where I can buy them, or I could make the pin if I new the exact dimensions
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

The only way you can get the spring,plug and pin is get the V-Twin one.The locks look the same anyway and you can get briggs and stratten keys just about anywhere.
UPSROD

Post by UPSROD »

Harley stopped using the spring at some point, my 65 never had one, you don't need it. The plug is a welch plug you can get at an auto parts store. I don't know the roll pin size, match one to the hole in your neck casting. You will have to carefully drill a hole for the pin in your new lock.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

white1j0!

The 48152-30 plunger that locks the fork is quite simple,
if one has a loose example to copy.
(I have a V-TWIN in packaging, but would rather not trust it.)

I would advise against a rollpin for locking the core, as they are a trap to remove for future generations.
Instead, I advise tapping the original hole for a #6 set screw, and capping over it with paint or whatever.

MY '65 Parts Catalog shows no spring for any year.

...Cotten
white1j0

Post by white1j0 »

I just received my neck lock from Bill's, I'm trying to install it but my neck is a V-twin re-pop and doesn't have the roll pin hole, plus I just had the frame powder coated two weeks ago, so I masked over the boss and centered punched and drilled a hole 13/32" in at apprx. 1:00 as according to the knowledge base, I'm gonna tap it to except a #2 set screw which Cotton posted, Which I think is a great idea, but now I still need the dimensions for the locking pin, I want to just turn one on my lathe, also does the spring go on the front or back, Any help would be greatly appreaciated, Thanks Whitey
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Whitey!

I hope you really meant a 3/32" hole, as that would be a good pilot.
And I suggested using a #6 set screw instead of a locking pin, which will require that you open up the hole to a #36 drill, or a 7/64" at most.

The real trick is to determine if the set screw or pin actually retains the core.
Originals seemed to depend upon drilling a detente hole into the core, which seems "dicey".

Please ink the outside of the core well with a felt-tipped pen, and insert it fully into its bore, with the key slot indexed.
Then use a wire or toothpick to mark through the pin hole to indicate its location upon the core.

If it seems to be in a safe spot, making a flat with a file may be of advantage for the set screw or pin, which ever you choose.
We do not want the core to walk outward, especially if you choose to use the spring!

....Cotten
white1j0

Post by white1j0 »

The locking pin I'm refering to, which I need dimentions for is the pin that locks the neck, Bill only sells the lock, and none of the internal parts,as far as the 13/32" thats the distance from the face of the boss to where the hole for the roll pins is located,which I'm not using a roll pin I'm using a #2 set screw, I drilled the hole to .086" and tap it for a #2 set screw, 56NS
UPSROD

Post by UPSROD »

The plunger is part # 48152-30. They are on ebay once in a wile.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Whitey!

I finally found an OEM plunger, hope this helps...
PLUNGER.jpg
....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
white1j0

Post by white1j0 »

Thanks Cotten, I didn't see your post until this afternoon, I spent a half a day yesterday taking measurements on my neck, and made one up out of a piece of 3/4" titanium I had laying around it's only a few .001s off from your sketch, your post should be put in the knowledge base, I'm sure there's alot of people out there that could use that info. I know it would of saved me about 2 hours of work, Thanks again Whitey

Return to “Frame & Fittings”