'54-57 Rigid Frame Adjustment

VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

'54-57 Rigid Frame Adjustment

Post by VintageTwin »

My straight-leg re-pop frame had a few things wrong. Shipped it (serial #1107) back east by taking it down to Fed-Ex for (I thought) a one-way $35.00 ticket to the furnace. But, it's coming back (after they cut on it a little).
Some facts were: 1. The motor (and four-finned cover) tilted downward. 2. The top motor mount was 1/4" too far back. 3. The rear motor mount needed to come forward about 3/16". 4. The brake light bracket on the right side of the frame won't allow an OE feed nipple to be installed into the oil pump. NOTE: Don at the frame factory told me he had to use an M.I.P X F.I.P 45 ell (male X female) fitting turned to the position of about 8 o'clock. Then you can bend a new feed line from the pump, cut the "long nut" off an original style line and place it on your new line and flare the end of the tube. They have a pix of the application in the '04 big book on pg.1538. I'll try to scan a pix of it. Well...it looks as though they have made up special oil lines for this application. Chrome (VT 40-0171), but it has the long nut on it. Find it right next to the exhaust header covers. You can see the long nut connecting to their custom-bent oil line. See it? I want to bend my own out of 3/8" cad. brake line, but glad they made one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Top mount was a little off:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

8) Kirk
Your frame has been repaired and was shipped from Ct. on Friday April 2.
You should recieve it in about one week.
Don
VintageTwin

One More Whack

Post by VintageTwin »

Don,
Shipped it UPS today. I took it down to FedEx and they
said "We're not taking any more bare frames, they have
to be in a box". While in the FedEx bldg. though, two
strikingly beautiful young women with a load of boxes
to ship, said to me, "Is that a motorcycle frame?" One
girl told the other one, "I wouldn't have known
motorcycles had a frame... until I saw the guys on that
T.V. show (O.C.C) shipping them around the country."
Point being, that the girls want to be a "part of the whole thing", and they don't even know nothing about anything....but they still want to be a part of it. Same thing the first time I went to FedEx to ship the frame. A guy was just totally electrified by the look of the '55 straight-leg, (stumble-walking toward it like an infant with his arms out-stretched). All are surprised that Knuckle & Pans are being replicated.
Well, if I was single and not happily married, I would be pulling around a frame in a red wagon just to meet people. Just for reference as to how big this whole thing is getting to be out here.-kp

Who would think a motorcycle frame could replace a puppy.
I will contact you after your frame arrives.
Don
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

All adjustments were made by "dynamic tension" only (a.k.a Charles Atlas), no cuts or welds. I will post some "appurtenance outfitted" pix of the frame when it gets back. Two continental trips to get it right, because that's what it took.
VintageTwin

Frame Motor Mount Hole Dimensions

Post by VintageTwin »

Plumber
Member posted 27 April 2004 15:42 ??? ???? ??
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone know the hole bore dimensions on the OE Big Twin motor mount frame holes? Anders once told me the front right and left rear were slopped-out by the factory, so the motor could be moved for alignment. I need the info quick. How's about some SCOOP!

amklyde
Member posted 27 April 2004 16:11 ??? ???? ??
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plumber, Knuck, Pan, and early Shovel frames were all drilled as follows, rear left:13/32, rear right:3/8, left front:3/8, right front:25/64.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”