rear axle anatomy question..

Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

rear axle anatomy question..

Post by Gotnoclass »

Hello all,
Was getting ready to re-parkerize the rear axle for my 1958 FLH, and after bead blasting, I notices a some glass that got stuck to the front dimple on the front. I tried to pry it out with a pick, and chunks of lead or some other soft metal were coming loose from that dimple (now a hole..) I also noticed a small hole drilled about 3 inches from the threaded part (see in pic) that was plugged with grease. My question is: is there is supposed to be a hole in the center of the axle all the way through? All the way to the small grease hole? Did some one at some point filled it with some sort of soft metal? I am a little lost here…

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ran
axle.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: rear axle anatomy question..

Post by RUBONE »

That isn't a '58 axle. Swingarm axles have a full hex head (as do all Panhead axles!). How long is it?
Robbie
Gotnoclass

Post by Gotnoclass »

Hi Robbie,
I thought the bottom one is for the swingarm itself, and the top one is for the rear wheel..

Top one is 11" and the bottom one is 8.5" with the welded nut.

Like I said, it apperas there is a hole going all the way through the body of the axle, and I can keep prying it but I am not sure if I should..

Ran
axle2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Isnt that bottom one a swingarm bolt?
Last edited by Hog54 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

It looks like a knuckle axle with a hole drilled through it.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Ran,
The axle in your first picture is a VL rear axle, 1930 to 1936. Both holes came from the factory and should be open and clean. The hole in the shank of the axle is about 2 7/8" from the end (it places the hole dead center in the middle of the brake drum bearing spacer) and only goes half way through, it intersects with the hole drilled down the center of the shaft from the threaded end. Interchangeable wheels before star hubs were splined and used caged roller bearings, half the wheel bearings were in the wheel hub, the other half were in the brake drum. Overall length of the axle is about 10 1/4" from the face of the square section which fits in the frame notch to the end of the threaded section. It may have also been used on the knuckles but I don't know for sure.

mike
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

That isn't a '58 axle. Swingarm axles have a full hex head (as do all Panhead axles!). How long is it?
OK, I'll try again, Apparently I confused you!
All Panhead rear axles have a full hex head (nothing to do with swingarm pivot bolts)
Rigid frame axles are shorter than Swingarm frame axles, thus my length question.
Sorry for the confusion!
Robbie
And thanks to Mike!
Gotnoclass

Post by Gotnoclass »

Mike and Robbie! Thank you so very much for the clarification!!
Is anyone in this forum has a 58 original axle they are willing to sell or trade?

Thanks,
Ran

Return to “Frame & Fittings”