59 pan eng sprocket shims ? clutch spacers?

neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

59 pan eng sprocket shims ? clutch spacers?

Post by neilw »

Now that you guys cleared up my compensating sprocket questions .(many thanks) ?I have more..In my compensating sproket post biker_k mentioned I would need to shim the compensating sprocket,and after reading Harleys 48-57 rigid manual and their 59-69 manual ,Clymer's 48-65 doesn',and palmer's restoration guide I see no mention of this BUT I did see something just as alarming,and that was Clymer's page 203 just below step 16 it is telling me 1955 and later have a spacer on the clutch sprocket shaft which is used to align the clutch shell with the compensating sprocket.I kept on reading and on page 215 below step 10 it says the spacer/washer on 1948-1964 measured 0.336" ( 8.52mm ) ..Any way being I'm building this from 2 basket cases I searched around for something resembling a 0.336 spacer ,and found one.I don't know if it is right ,but it measures 1 7/8 od and 15/16 " id ,and about 11/32 thick(8.5mm). none of my 3 parts books show any of this .,.
Can you guys shed some light on all this ?
Neil
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: 59 pan eng sprocket shims ? clutch spacers?

Post by Cotten »

Neil!

That rascal Floyd C. is giggling in his grave again.

It is correct that Timken models have a spacer, but previous years with a tapered shaft had no means of adjustment.

Your spacer should fit sweetly over the splines of the sprocket shaft, and sweetly within the "slinger" bore of the big spanner nut that holds the Timken within the motorcase. It will protrude just a bit, of course.

....Cotten
PS: V-TWIN offers the sprocket shaft extention that you are missing, but the quality is unknown, and the price is *high*.
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

I can only speak from my experience, and because I can't figure out how to search for all of my previous posts, I'll just tell you what I experienced. I rebuilt my bike as a running basket case. It has a late 50's or early 60's bottom end, so the crank is the medium length splined sprocket shaft. It had the compensator assy on it and I sort of remember when I disassembled it there were some rather chewed up washers/shims on the sprocket shaft. However, when I reassembled the bike....I forgot about them. When I got the bike ready to do it's first few runs to work out the "bugs", I noticed that every time I gave it some throttle, it would slip and I mean slip bad.

I thought it was the clutch, but after 2 different clutch changes, it was still doing the same thing. I'd give a good amount of throttle, it would slip like a b*tch. Finally, I decided to take it out without the primary cover and right off the bat....I noticed that it was the compensator that was slipping.

So, I came here to get some expert advice. What I found out was that the sprocket assembly needed to be shimmed in order to "preload" the compensator spring.....that big monster spring. Then it clicked in my head...oh....that's what those chewed up washers that I threw away were. Dang! Well, my next question was, Where do you buy them? The answer was....you can't.....but you can make them. A pair of tin snips, a few tin cans......walla!!...you got some shims.

I decided to change the whole system out to a belt drive.....WAY BETTER!!! World of difference. However, if you are restoring your ride....then belt drive might not be the way to go. So.....my advice is to put the thing together....and if it slips.....get some tin snips, and some tin cans and preload that spring and you should be able to do that by trial and error.....and sweat.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

because I can't figure out how to search for all of my previous posts,
That's easy:

biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

Got it. For some reason, I was logged back out after I logged in. Sounds like a politician's statement...LOL. However, once I posted the first reply, the View Your Posts link was there whereas it wasn't there when I first wanted to reply.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Neil,
The spacer mentioned is inset into the crankcase to butt up against the left main bearing. It has to be there! the sprocket assembly then bolts tightly against it and holds everything in place. There is a thinner spacer available that will change the chain line, however it was not normally used from '55 to '64. A compensator sprocket will not "SLIP" if assembled correctly.
I wrote you back on the AMCA forum.
Robbie

Return to “Sprockets”