Chain sprocket loose

1955fle
Bikes: 1955 FL
1973 FLH

Chain sprocket loose

Post by 1955fle »

I was doing some maintenance on my '55 FL and found that the rivets on the rear chain sprocket are loose and 3 are missing. Anyone know where I can get new rivets and the best way to apply them. Thanks in advance for the help.

-Carl
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Re: Chain sprocket loose

Post by 1962FLH »

I think V-Twin Sells the rivets I got new ones when I replaced my rear sprocket. But if you have a hot rod Panhead you can run grade 8 bolts insted of rivets they will not give up on you.
joe
Bikes: 1947 Indian Chief
1956 Harley FLH
1985 Harley FLH Shovelhead
1986 Heritage Softail

Post by joe »

I put the rivets through the holes, hit them with a torch to get them red, and wack them with a rivet punch (a drift punch with a concave end).

Joe
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

55fle---I had a similar problem yrs. ago--The bolts work great--If your parts are original, then you can go both ways,--depending how much your actually riding the bike!--I use mine everyday, so I took my Orig. parts off & put em up!--I got a new brakedrum, sprocket,etc.-.I then put 5 1-inch welds around the sproket to HOLD IT PERIOD!.--If you have orig. HD parts, use the rivets & do em correctly!-(DONT WELD your ORIG. PARTS!). The bolts work great ALSO!-(better then rivets,strength-wise),& you can always put Rivets back in!. I changed-up because I put alot of use on mine!-& The weld was the way to go for my application!.---GOOD-LUCK---RICHIE
1955fle
Bikes: 1955 FL
1973 FLH

Post by 1955fle »

I just bought a setup from Old Dude, sprocket and rivets. I will put my original sprocket away and use the new one with the rivets. Do the rivets need to be heated to peen them or is there a different way to do them.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

1955fle!

Properly, they are pressed cold.
SPKTRIVT.jpg
....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

I've never tackled this task, is there a method to get the spocket to run concentric to the axle?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Huck!

Wish there was.
Perhaps if you go to the trouble to set the hub up on an arbor where you could then index the sprocket's eccentricity to counter the drum's eccentricity, it might get you a smidge.

At least you would avoid putting the sprocket on where they add to each other.

....Cotten
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Thanks,
mine seems pretty good, but, I’ve seen them oscillating going down the road to the point of disturbing.
Larry

Post by Larry »

I attach the sprocket to the drum with four small screws and nuts. I then chuck the assembly in a lathe, indicate the sprocket, and tighten the screws. I tackweld the sprocket to the drum at four places. I then remove the screws and finish with rivets or bolts.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Larry wrote:I attach the sprocket to the drum with four small screws and nuts. I then chuck the assembly in a lathe, indicate the sprocket, and tighten the screws. I tackweld the sprocket to the drum at four places. I then remove the screws and finish with rivets or bolts.
Uh, Larry,

You do realize the cast drums are cast iron, don't you?
Even welding upon the pressed steel drums isn't adviseable.

Sprockets don't like heat either.

....Cotten
Last edited by Cotten on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry

Post by Larry »

The drum in question is rigid mechanical. All of mine are steel. Are any cast iron?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

All is good stuff here!-& YES they dont like heat!,--My first sprocket that I welded I put threw 3-chains-(lots of mileage)--My second I did the same!--No troubles,I have been using aftermarket Krap to weld to!--I would never do it to my original sets!,& dont condone doing this unless you got tired of F---King with rivets on a daily run bike!--Well I did!-& those 5 welds I put around get me MANY a MILES without worry!-I usually by the 3rd or 4 rear chain change Also change my chain-wheel!---It works for me! & good I might add!,Again I recomend the Rivets or Bolts & dont weld the chain-wheel!-(that is the correct way to do it!& by the way I have sentback NEW chainwheels before!--Seems nobody is taking pride in such a simple but IMPORTANT piece of drivetrain!- So chek your chain-wheels before you rivet them. For me I easily grind the 1-inch welds & drill-out the rivets I use to center it,& change out when needed!---Respectfully,--RICHIE
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Larry wrote:The drum in question is rigid mechanical. All of mine are steel. Are any cast iron?
Larry!

Yes, '58 and later are cast iron.
I don't advise welding on the steel either.

....Cotten
Larry

Post by Larry »

I use heliarc, keep the heat low and the tacks small (less than a quarter inch). All the tacks do is maintain concentricity while riveting/bolting is done. The tacks do no damage, you can barely even see them, and the sprocket runs true.

Return to “Sprockets”