O- ring rear drive chain or not ?

neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

O- ring rear drive chain or not ?

Post by neilw »

I'm going to use a primary belt drive to stop the oil from messing up my rear tire,so I'm wondering about an O-ring rear chain, do they need oiling? And how often?
Neil
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Re: O- ring rear drive chain or not ?

Post by Panshovevo »

That will depend on the quality of the coating on the links, as well as the weather in which it is ridden.
You might want to make sure that you have enough clearance between the chain and fender before buying an o-ring chain, as there are sometimes issues there.

Regards,
John
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

If you're not running a huge transmission gear, clearance should be okay--- but check your clearance now and figure at least another 1/8".

Yes, O-ring chains need regularly maintenance--- the O-rings retain a lubricant which is on the inside of the rollers, but the outside still needs lubrication. I use a spray lubricant designed specifically for O-ring chains.
JohnnysCustomPaint
Bikes: 1959 Duo-Glide
1979 Electra-Glide
1999 Softail (EVO)

Post by JohnnysCustomPaint »

Bigincher wrote:If you're not running a huge transmission gear, clearance should be okay--- but check your clearance now and figure at least another 1/8".

Yes, O-ring chains need regularly maintenance--- the O-rings retain a lubricant which is on the inside of the rollers, but the outside still needs lubrication. I use a spray lubricant designed specifically for O-ring chains.
What is considered "HUGE"?

I would like to run an O-Ring chain, but have been told that with a 25 tooth front sprocket, you have to notch the ratchet lid,.

I like the 25 but may could go with a 24, but still would like some input from someone that is "in the know"

Thanks,
Johnny
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I just rode from Phoenix, AZ to east TN on my panhead w/ o-ring chain. About 1000.miles in I sprayed the chain with "chain wax" specifically sold for o-ring chains. Yes they need some lube. But overall are very low maintenance and very clean. I normally get about 20k miles from an o-ring chain. I'm partial to the Tsubaki Sigma.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

I had an o-ring chain on mine and it rubbed against the rear chain guard. Even with the rear chain adjusted correctly, the problem persisted. I gave up and put on a regular chain - problem solved.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I had to put an extra washer between the rear primary tab and the frame to give the "O-ring" chain more space behind the primary. No biggie...
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Been runnin an O-Ring on the back since the 80's. Runnin 23 on the tranny. No problem there. Had to shim the inner primary approximately 1/4" away from the tranny. Had to cut a piece out of the chain guard where in intersects with the frame for clearance caused by the chain being much wider than stock. Gussetted the top of the chain guard to make up for what I cut out from the side, rechromed, all done. Whatever you have to do to get it to work is well worth the effort and expense. Purchase a quality chain, keep it lubed and you're in business for a long time. Replace sprockets when installing new chain or it won't last. Quality sprockets are a must....bosheff
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

Bosheff
What brand would you consider a quality brand sprocket? Are they american made?
Arnulfo
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Neil!

A chain primary doesn't oil the tire if properly set up.
And some spray from the rear chain is inevitable, even with a lightly lubed 0-ring.
As Bosheff hints, the sprockets cannot run dry!

You aren't running white-walls are you?

....Cotten
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

The sprockets I use may not even be available anymore. On the trans I use a 23 Tooth that is marked "PORTCO". I haven't purchased any of these in over 20 years and I am down to my last one. On the rear I am running a disk set-up with a -73 flanged hub. My choice of rear sprockets are no longer in production and were made of plastic. These were manufactured by an outfit called N.E.P. and were marked "Tuff One". I'm also down to my last one of those also. Hard as it may be to believe the plastic rear sprocket wears better than any steel ones I've ever used. The secret of a good sprocket in my opinion is using good quality materials, AND equally important is that the hole in the center of the sprocket needs to be as close to perfectly centered as possible. Lubrication is also very important. The method used to check for concentricity is after installing sprockets and chain, roll the rear wheel and check for tight spots on the chain. This tells you the quality of the manufacturing process of the sprockets. Replace the tranny sprocket 1st and test making a mental note of how much bind is felt after adjustment. Now install the rear sprocket and repeat. Ideally, no tight spots are what yer lookin for. Keep in mind that just because no bind is felt after adjusting, that is no guarantee the materials are of quality. A good sprocket will be made of quality materials, and be manufactured concentric, and will give many miles of service with proper maintenance and lubrication. A quality O-ring chain requires an initial adjustment and maybe one after the first ride. After that, they require minimal adjustment if the sprockets are of quality manufacturing and quality materials. If continued adjustment is necessary you have a problem somewhere in the system....bosheff
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Whitewall protector!
CHANCOVR.jpg

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Chains & Belts”