SIDECAR BELT DRIVES

FLH57
Bikes: 1957 FLH WITH SIDECAR

SIDECAR BELT DRIVES

Post by FLH57 »

HELLO, DO ANY OF THE SIDECAR RIDERS HAVE BELT DRIVES? READ SOME WHERE IT IS NOT A GOOD THING THING TO DO BECAUSE THE BELT CAN'T TAKE THE EXTRA LOAD THAT THE SIDECAR PUTS ON THE BIKE.WAS THINKING ABOUT CHANGING OVER TO ONE. JUST NEED SOME INFO ABOUT IT.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: SIDECAR BELT DRIVES

Post by Bosheff »

Installed a belt set-up on a new 81 FLH. No problems til the hack went on. Destroyed 3 belts as fast as I could put em on. Owner sold hack, end of problems. As I remember, there was also a problem with the gearing of the pulleys being to tall ta git the darn thing outta the gate with the hack attached....bosheff
FLH57
Bikes: 1957 FLH WITH SIDECAR

Post by FLH57 »

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT, THAT'S WHAT I HEARD STILL THINKING ABOUT IT,I DON'T KNOWN IF EARLIER YEARS LIKE MINE 57 WOULD BE ANY DIFFERENT OR NOT ,BUT I THINK THAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH THE GEARING. WHEN I HAD MY TRANNY REBUILD I HAD FIRST AND SECOND RE GEARED FOR THE SIDECAR DRAG. GOT A LITTLE WAYS TO GO BEFORE I DO THE CLUTCH AND DRIVE TRAIN. THANKS AGAIN
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Unless yer mixer is setup with a 3 speed or 3/R, all FL's are geared the same as far as 1st and 2nd are concerned., Factory sidecar gearing is as I remember nothing more than a 22 on the mill, and 22 on the trans....bosheff

Return to “Chains & Belts”