Belt Drive: What is the best one?

58Bobber
Inactive member
Bikes: '58 FLH

Belt Drive: What is the best one?

Post by 58Bobber »

Hey guys...I need some help. ....I'm removing a 3" belt drive from my newly purchased 1950 Panhead....looking to install a smaller belt drive unit. MY QUESTION: 8mm pitch vs 11mm pitch, preferences please! AND...1.5 inch width vs 2" width?... preferences again please ....I'd like to mount this in an ENCLOSED primary...I can use a spacer if needed...but, IS it needed on a 2" belt drive unit? Alot of questions here but you all are the ones to know...I'll trust your opinions..thanks in advance....
Jim in Seattle "1950Bobber"
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Jim -

I am not an experienced belt-drive guy. I ran one as a trial, back in the 70's. It was 1-1/2" in width, so that it would fit an enclosed primary. The belt was a Gates brand, though I don't remember the drive brand. It had a 10K mile warranty on it. The belt stripped at just a little over 11K miles. Took the rest out and put my chain drive back on. I would say that 2" would be a minimum, and know the belt life before buying. If they don't give you specifics, shop elsewhere until you get them.

Jack
58Bobber
Inactive member

Belt Drive choice: BEST ONE?

Post by 58Bobber »

Thanks Jack for the reply....you seem to always be willing to lend your earned knowledge...Thanks! I read all the posts in "Chains vs. Belts"....good info but no real consensus on the best one. Yeah, I'd lean towards a 2" belt as opposed to the 1.5"...would like to hear from anyone who runs a 2" belt drive system on their Pan...for starters....DOES IT FIT IN AN ENCLOSED PRIMARY? Who makes one: Primo, BDL? ...and what experience does anyone have? Man, these are golden questions in order to do this once, or at least once "for the time being" anyway! Guy's...any experiences you can share?
Jim "1950 Bobber"
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

1-1/2" 11mm. Primo® or BDL® is what you need if you want it under stock tin. Mine's Primo®. Both companies are equal. Don't bend the belt. Register here...it's more fun. Then you can edit and delete. That's all I know at this time. 8)
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

That's good info. Belt development has come a long ways from when I tried one on the 76 FLH. Then, I jumped to the 'unheard of' 3" drive on my Bonneville Racer. Never ran it, so it's still new (from the 70's, that is).

Jack
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

I've run a Primo 11mm. in vented stock tins for a long time. The introduction of the 11mm. was to give you a closer- to- stock (1.5 to 1) drive ratio than what you had available with the 8mm. I replace my belt at about 15K, no matter how it looks. For the $65 it costs for a belt, I figure it's cheap insurance. Don't see how you could fit a 2" belt in the primaries without some very creative spacing. As far a strenght goes, don't think you need any wider than 1 1/2", never had any issues with mine on an 86" motor. Course, both me and the bike are gettin' a little too old for hole shots and wheelies...
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

A manufacturer told me the 1-1/2 x 11mm belt can be run in a non-vented OE style tin primary.
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

I didn't get too crazy with the venting, just the holes in the front/rear of the inner primary, and then a few more inside the primary between the front/rear pullys. Since heat can cost you belt life, figured it couldn't hurt.
holes2.jpg
holes1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
I think that 1-1/2 belt is more than you will need, belts have come a long way in technology, if you think you need more they make a kevlar reinforced belt also. I dont think that the 2" will fit enclosed in the primary, it will hit the outside cover.I run a 1-1/2 and have not broken one, and I have run it real hard, I did pick up a few rocks but they never broke.

mbskeam
58Bobber
Inactive member

GREAT ADVICE, All!

Post by 58Bobber »

Thanks guys for taking the time to lend me some experienced knowledge.....I'm getting the 1.5" belt size info other places also. I do hear that 8mm is fine....especially with non-hyperformance motors but also for a better grab with the closer pitch....no expert here, mind you! The 2" seems to be a rare bird! Don't know the reason other than to assume it won't fit an enclosed primary and quite possibly that as you all are saying...1.5" is enough. Anyway...leaning towards a BDL 1.5" unit with the lighter weight clutch shell and BDL clutch basket unit. $300+. Thanks again all!
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
jeffpounds

panhead belt drive

Post by jeffpounds »

I have a bdl belt drive in my 1950 pan
I am pretty sure 2 inches would not fit. I haven't vented the cover, just hoping to get by on the holes from the oil feed line. My question is how do you stop the oil in the primary. I replaced the oil slinger with a seal, and rerouted the oil feed line out the bottom of the bike. My oil pump adjusting screw is not right. Will try to fix it this week.
Does anyone know of a way to reroute the oil line back to the tank? I have hard lines on it.
Thanks Jeff
Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Hey 1950-Bobber- Where did you find your 1.5 BDL belt drive for $300. I'm ready to switch over from 3" to 1.5" and the only one selling one for under $400. I can find is a "Karata" and I'm not sure what their quality of product is. Anyone try these "Karata" belt drives before? It going on my 56-pan which rarely see's speeds above 60mph. -Steve
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

fog hollow has them for 235.00

look here:
http://www.foghollow.com/cgi-bin/catalo ... ction=form

I have been runnin one of these for a long time, and have not broken one yet. and I have beat on it hard in the past, I have picked up a few rocks, that is the only issues that I've had.
mbskeam
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

oh......
this one is made by BDL.
Primo is good also
there are others that make them but they cost a bit more $, but I'm cheap
mbskeam
King
Inactive member

Post by King »

Hi Bobber

I'll add my .02. I used a Primo 1.5" 11mm for several years no problems.

Jeff

Check back through the threads there is the description of a returm to tank system posted about a year or so ago. I personally think it is a bridge too far as you have to be carefull to vent the oil bag etc. I just ran my line out the inner primary to lube the rear chain.

king

Return to “Chains & Belts”