Chain to belt conversion

Bullene

Chain to belt conversion

Post by Bullene »

I have a 1955 Panhead that I want to make as reliable and smooth/quite as possible, and low maintenance what parts do I need to convert the current chain drive over to a belt?
(The part numbers would be awesome if you know them......)
It has a stock wishbone frame with a 1968 rear wheel right now.
Happy riding!

Scott-Seattle
2dogs
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 FL motor in 1965 frame with an assembly of other old and replica parts.

Re: Chain to belt conversion

Post by 2dogs »

Scott: Are you thinking primary belt drive or rear wheel belt drive?
I considered a primary belt drive so I have some information on that. Many others including an H-D service manager I know recommend Phil Ross's Super Max belt drives (http://www.supermax.net). Your '55 would take his Silent Drive kit #SKK 55-64. They are more expensive than Primo's and BDL's and therefore not seen as often.
Incidently, smoother and quieter you'll get with a belt, especially a primary but reliability and belt life is not on par with chain. Chains aren't likely to break without warning, belts are.
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by weezeo »

Scott, I been running a KARATA for almost 25 yrs. with little problems, it has been updated twice since I got and the guy treated me righteously on updating it. It is very reasonably priced last I knew Just another in a wide world of aftermarket parts. Good Luck
2dogs
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 FL motor in 1965 frame with an assembly of other old and replica parts.

Post by 2dogs »

weezeo: Those Karata units run around $420 now for the 1-1/2" pulley/belt kits for 1955-84 kick only. They look like real nice kits, a cut above the usual BDL and Primo drive units...not that there is anything wrong with those either.
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

Scott
Thats still not a bad price, last time I had to get a new belt I had to update as they didn't make that belt anymore But I got a nice belt and pulleys and the belt is like steel belted or some thing it was a Gates and extra heavy duty. I am not saying they are better than the rest just that I was treated well and very happy with the product.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

scott

i had a belt on my '55.
wasn't really happy with it. the amount of tension needed to run properly played hell with my clutch.
my bike drives better with the chain anyway, because of the compensating sprocket. i believe there is more cushioning in the driveline.
food for thought anyway.

john
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

Sorry but I have to disagree with John's comments. I believe that the reasons that it played hell with his clutch, He was running with too much tension on the belt, you really don't need that much tension. I been running for many years as stated above with little problems and am a staunch believer that the belt is one of the top improvements made to modern day rides.(factory has even incorporated into new models) You have to agree when you think of the weight, less, the noise, less, the maintenence, less and the ease of replacing one if need. Me I never cared for a compensator sprockett and think that a little power has to be lost somewhere in the conversion. IMHO ty
2dogs
Inactive member

Post by 2dogs »

I can confirm Weez's statement about belt tension, based on at least one belt drive manufacturer's statement: Phil Ross at Super Max advised me of the importance of 1" belt deflection on his setups. On our chain drive primaries 1/2" deflection is the norm. I could not use the SuperMax setup I bought because I could not get my tranny far enough forward to obtain the necessary 1" deflection.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

I just got a 1 1/2 inch BDL installed. I haven't ridden enough to get the whole experience yet. I don't notice much difference at low speed, but it seems to be a hell of a lot smoother going fast !!!! I ran it up to 70mph to see what would happen. I was suprised to say the least. Feels like I have an overdrive. I think it's well worth the investment.

Just my .02
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

Sorry but I have to disagree with John's comments. I believe that the reasons that it played hell with his clutch, He was running with too much tension on the belt, you really don't need that much tension. I been running for many years as stated above with little problems and am a staunch believer that the belt is one of the top improvements made to modern day rides.(factory has even incorporated into new models) You have to agree when you think of the weight, less, the noise, less, the maintenance, less and the ease of replacing one if need. Me I never cared for a compensator sprockett and think that a little power has to be lost somewhere in the conversion. IMHO ty
nope, still disagree.
belts are o.k. for choppers, mine was one once.
but for every day driving the chain is king!

john
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

wanna arm wrestle
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

2dogs said, "I could not get my tranny far enough forward to obtain the necessary 1" deflection."
Lonnie said they lengthened the slots in the transmission plates 1/4" to be able to move the trans up further. They were using a BDL® belt. Stett told me that he has never had a problem with Primo® belts fitting and still having the 1" slack.
kell

Post by kell »

I've been reading these posts with some interest, and have a couple newbie-ish questions.
I have no idea what brand belt I have, the previous owner put it on. But looking forward to when I replace it -- do all the belts come in one standard size, or do I have to count teeth or measure it, or something?
It's a three-inch belt, may go to two of the 1 1/2 inch belts.
Also... the State where I registered my bike doesn't allow exposed primary. (I just was lucky to find an old boy with a garage back in the woods who gave me a sticker.) So I'm contemplating the best way to fab a primary cover, in particular how to mount it, since I don't intend to spend the big bucks for an aftermarket cover. If anybody made their own cover for a three-inch belt primary, I'd like to hear the gory details.
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

While were on this subject lets hash out some of the ratio's on the belt drives. Mine has got a 24 tooth eng. with a 38 tooth clutch,stock trans sprocket width 48 tooth wheel sprocket. I was looking to drop my rpm's at cruising speed. Overall ratio looks good but how will it effect the kick start. How about some imput? Thanks, Ed
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

???FastEd -

I did some calculating on your numbers, using a 24 tranny sprocket, and find that you will be running some mighty low rpms at anything but fast interstate. Be careful, as you want good oir circulation, and low rpms and hot oil make for poor circulation. Running a 25 tranny sprocket makes rpms very low.

Jack

Return to “Chains & Belts”