Belt Guard Desired

52 Chopper

Belt Guard Desired

Post by 52 Chopper »

I want to convert my 52 to a 3" belt on the primary. Anyone know of any guards available or workable with some minor tweaking?
hd74

Re: Belt Guard Desired

Post by hd74 »

It is hard to find belt parts for the older bikes. You can still get the 1 1/2" kit that will fit in the tin can primary. You'll want to run dry clutch plates and you'll have to cut the oil to the primary. The 3" you will probably have some trouble finding a primary. Ever consider making one or having it made?

hd74
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi, NO PRIMARY for a 3" belt, as it would over heat, open application only. Some protections exist for that kind of belt but there's no enclosure. Is there any advantages usin a 3" instead of 1"1/2 ? I'm not quite sure, they last the same.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

I have a 1 1/2" on my '58 and it's great. Really cuts vibration & looks cool. It has a chrome guard around the top, but the clutch is out there spinning. I'm going to get an aluminum piece that has countersunk holes so the clutch bolts & nuts aren't so dangerous.
52 Chopper

Post by 52 Chopper »

Thanks, I'm torn between 1.5" & 3". Since it's it's a cool chopper, I'm thinking 3 is cooler and by the way I'm putting a jockey shift on too! But I like the primary tin look so the 1.5 is preferred. Oh such dilemmas...... time for another beer!
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

I'm running an open 3" belt on my '57. Custom Chrome sells spun aluminum derby covers for the clutch basket and engine sprocket. They are made by Jesse James and they are kinda spendy. I've been tossing around an idea for a cheaper alternative. I'm working as a diesel mechanic and the semi tractors use small baby moon caps on the front wheels. You can get them at any truck stop for about $5. I'm thinking that if a take a pair of them and cut circles the right size, I can indent them in 3 spots and drill and tap my engine and clutch sprockets and use screws to attach them. What 'ca think?

Return to “Chains & Belts”