BELT DRIVE EXPERTS............SIMPLE QUESTION HERE

Panhead Dave
Inactive member

Post by Panhead Dave »

Hello Guys,

Well I went ahead and bought a 3" BDL belt drive system. Nice unit. When I removed my compensator unit there was a 1/4" spacer infront of the main shaft bearing. Do I keep this spacer and install the pulley or do I remove it and then install the pulley?

Thanks In advance,

Dave
Panhead Dave
Inactive member

Post by Panhead Dave »

ANYBODY PLEASE.......................................

Thanks Dave
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Well Dave.... For its worth, I put a 1.5 BDL on my 56pan a couple years back and did not need any spacers. Why not just try mock fitting everything together and see how it looks.? Good Luck. -Steve
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

As Ohio-rider said , the main thing with belts that I have found out and thru this sight ,is proper alignment and tension.
matco
Inactive member

Post by matco »

there are selectable thicknesses of spacers. i used a rule and a straight edge to determine thickness.
Panhead Dave
Inactive member

Post by Panhead Dave »

Hello Guys,

Well I bolted everything up and it lined up perfectly without the pre-existing spacer. I did have to modify the tranmission plate to move the tranny forward enough to slip the belt on. Other than that it went on easily.

What is the proper tension? I thought that I read that it was 1/4" of deflection under 10 pounds of weight on the upper run of belt mid way between the pulleys. Is this correct?

By the way this new system still has some wobble in the clutch basket.........is this normal?

Thanks Dave
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

This will help you with belt adj.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=647

Do you have the retainer on the clutch basket ( shell ) ? It kinda locks the shell to the hub , if not try the Tamer . Is your main shaft true & not bent . You may get a little wobble with the clutch disengaged ,and the stock clutch hub bearing cage is used. Could it be an optical illusion.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

You say there was a 1/4" spacer in front of the mainshaft bearing? Do you mean the sprocket shaft? Some belt drive pulleys are designed with a .160 counterbore which goes over a coresponding shoulder on shovelhead alternators, when these pulleys are used on flat rotors a spacer must be used to fill the counterbore to prevent rotor distortion upon assembly. Nomesain? Mike

Return to “Chains & Belts”