Primary chain

chuck 56 pan
Bikes: 1956 FLH, 1969 FL, 2014 RoadKing

Primary chain

Post by chuck 56 pan »

Anyone got a lead for an 84 link primary chain to fit my 56? My 23 tooth eng sprocket and 82 link put my trans into an oil line and the kicker spring is into the exh pipe.

Chuck
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Primary chain

Post by 1950Panhead »

The factory used 80 and 82 link chains.
23t is a factory sprocket and a 82 link should work ok, count your links.

Jerry
chuck 56 pan

Post by chuck 56 pan »

Jerry

Thanks, Chain is 82. could be I need to wind the spring more, and could be my VT oil lines are not quite bent like factory, could also be the rear pipe is not factory. Many things on my bike or not what they should be. Chain would be an easy fix without upsetting everything else.

Chuck!
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Chuck
The spring touching the rear pipe is no big deal they usually do, everything is so close in that area especially if the chain is new, unstretched.
The oil lines rubbing could be a potential problem.
Try tweeking the lines if you can or check out Old Dudes oil lines, they fit pretty good.

Jim
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

There are four slots in the tranny base plate.
The tranny should be able to move through the range.
If pipes, oil lines or the pope are in the way bend or beat them out of the way.
Work on the real problem.

Jerry
chuck 56 pan

Post by chuck 56 pan »

Great advice both Jim and Jerry, Think I will get the oil line some space and RTSOOI so the chain stretches.
Thanks!
Chuck
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Chuck----Your chain will stretch ,in the first 100 miles-very little!--if you are running a Diamond & you should!-They are STRETCHED ALREADY!,The boys nailed-it when --ANY aftermarket stuff is ALWAYS going to get in the way!-especialy anything from VT!--If yer spring is on the EX. no big deal-,until it breaks when your kickin it from all the cold-hot cycles!.(bailingwire :lol: )--Try another fitting off tank, who cares if its not OEM niether is the rest!--Be careful when bending!,Dont pinch a line!,Use a rounfpipe & softly contour it out of the way!,Try to get it atleast a 1/4inch away from the heat!-The VT-LINES BREAK EASY when heated & driven daily in a rigid. Chain adh. should be 3/4 inch deflection-up/down at its tightest spot!--Another 1/8 tighter on a new chain wont hurt anything & give you another 1/8inch back on the tranny-case!---If your running a $40 cc/ryder chain you will get all the ADJ. you need!I found them to be good for 8 months or 11-14grand on the chain!--Its a throwaway!---JUST MAKE it FIT!---GOOD RIDES----RICHIE 8)
Dave_R
Bikes: 1953 FLE Panhead
1960 FLH Panhead
1979 FXE Shovel
2001 Heritage "Twinkie"

Post by Dave_R »

Chuck,

I too feel your pain! I had looked a few years ago for an 84 Link chain as you need, but no luck.

I also run a 23-tooth compensator so I understand what you are going through! It is tight!

The thing I did (and it took a little work), was "break" (Push out one of the pins) my new 82-link chain and "splice" in two links from my old chain. Luckily, they were both Diamond chains.

So far, about 3 years on it and it is still good!

Of course, my bike is nowhere near "correct", as my oil lines are the braided type and most parts except the drivetrain is aftermarket or custom fab'd. I also put a "intentional" dent in the right spot on my exhaust to clear the kicker cover and spring. Since I have aftermarket 2" drag pipes with baffles, I just wanted it to work and I worried about the heat transfer to the chrome tranny pieces if touching. So far, nobody has noticed (or at least commented to me) about the dent in the pipe. (almost looks like it is supposed to be there).

- Dave

Return to “Chains & Belts”