Transmission cork seal missing (clutch hub)

03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Transmission cork seal missing (clutch hub)

Post by 03Roadking »

Description: I noticed that the cork seal was missing

I pulled the clutch Hub nut off last week to replace the hub nut seal I noticed that the cork seal was missing and the (hub nut seal parts). I am comparing my trans to the picture in Clymer page 201 item 12, 13, 14 and 17 and 59-69 HD manual page 4B-5 item 19 and 13
I found the cork (well it's rubber now) seal but I can't find the spring and two washers J&P said no longer available I went to a local place and he said he has never seen that set up and the other place I went to said the same thing and brought out the HD parts book and showed me the exploded view and the washers and spring was not in the picture So my question is are these really needed ??? and if so is there a place I can get them. Just in case it makes a difference I am running a 1 1/2" belt drive.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Transmission cork seal missing

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
you can put in a modern seal in to the end of the nut
this is the seal with a spring on the inside, this seals around the clutch push rod.
you can get these at a shop or by mail order.

mbskeam
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

Mbskeam
I ordered the seal from J&P it has not arrived yet so maybe the seal I ordered will have the spring on it and that is why they discontinued the spring and washers it should be here in a day or three I will post the results
Thanks
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

03RoadKing,

Is this what you are referring to?

When I redid my transmission it had the spring and washers in it (but no cork??? - no wonder I was leaking!!) anyway, I discarded them when I put the lipped seal in the nut.

After I took this picture I realized that I had to recess the seal a little deeper inside the nut because the clutch push rod has a taper on the this end which doesn't seal well.
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

57 pan
That is a picture of the nut but inside the nut there is suppose to be a cork/rubber seal that slides over the shaft then there is a washer then a spring then a washer and then you screw on the nut, the washers and spring keep the rubber seal against the trans it's like a wiper seal the main seal is mounted in the nut like yours in the picture
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello
yes.......
but the one in the photo works much better, as in no leaks, you can put 2 in if you want. you then can loose the old parts

mbskeam
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

Mbskeam
I did not understand what he was showing me I knew the newer seal took the place of the washers and spring But you say you can put two of the end seals in, one on top of the other and that will give you a longer lasting and better seal, I will check this out this weekend, my parts are due in Thursday
Thanks
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello
that is how I got mine
if one is good then two must be better, right ;D
one will work real good for you
mbskeam
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Two works great, as it moves the sealing lip to an area of least wear on the pushrod!

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”