clutch tammer

61FLHPan
Inactive member
Bikes: 1961FlHPan 73flh@1983lowrider

clutch tammer

Post by 61FLHPan »

I brough a clutch tammer i been trying to install it I put it on two time thinking i had it shim wrong because it would shift it was hard shifing I dont no if i am doing something wrong I wouy\ld like to no did anybody ever instal one any help thank you
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: clutch tammer

Post by Cotten »

61FLHPan!

The name "Tamer" has been used loosely in modern times.

Does your retainer plate have indexing identification next to the counterbores for the clips?

Did it come with instructions?

...Cotten
talldrifter
Bikes: Aftermarket Panhead in Shovel frame, 1978 XLCR Sporty in disguise

Post by talldrifter »

As Cotten says, the term is loosely used. I have both the black plastic "Ram Jet" which is just a large washer with ten holes, some of them are counter sunk for circlips that hold it in place. The "Clutch Tamer" is an aluminum alloy unit that is comprised of a alum. spool, alum. backing plate, mylatron plate and various shims (washers) that fit behind the spool to adjust the clearance to .010" -.015". The spool fits over the trans shaft and is held in with the left hand threaded nut.

Let us know what you have, I downloaded the instruction sheet for the clutch tamer from the BDL Belt Drive web site.
61FLHPan
Inactive member

Post by 61FLHPan »

talldrifter wrote:As Cotten says, the term is loosely used. I have both the black plastic "Ram Jet" which is just a large washer with ten holes, some of them are counter sunk for circlips that hold it in place. The "Clutch Tamer" is an aluminum alloy unit that is comprised of a alum. spool, alum. backing plate, mylatron plate and various shims (washers) that fit behind the spool to adjust the clearance to .010" -.015". The spool fits over the trans shaft and is held in with the left hand threaded nut.

Let us know what you have, I downloaded the instruction sheet for the clutch tamer from the BDL Belt Drive web site.
I have the alumi spol one brough it from Vtriw I took it off today went back to stock i I am running chain primary
talldrifter
Bikes: Aftermarket Panhead in Shovel frame, 1978 XLCR Sporty in disguise

Post by talldrifter »

OK, did you get the instructions with the tamer? It is a two sided sheet of paper, it pretty much shows how to install and adjust it.

I mis-remembered where I found the instruction sheet. It is at http://www.zodiac.nc/instructions/291266.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As near as I can figure out it is a fancy way of keeping the outside hub from following the clutch plates out, thus insuring a cleaner shift as the plates have more space to seperate. However the correct spacing freeplay between the lip of the spool and the flat alum plate must be between .010" and .015" to allow the outer hub to spin free with the clutch dis-engaged but not too loose to allow the hub to slide out with the discs and cause clutch drag.

Running a chain drive should not have any effect on the results.

Have you checked the allignment of the engine/trans chain sprockets? After re-reading your first post it made me think that if the pullys are out of allignment that could account for hard shifting due to side pressure on the clutch hub assy.

Also wondering if the hub bearings may not have enough lubricant.

Just listing stray thoughts that you have probably already checked.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Never experienced any clutch issues that needed "band-aids" to work correctly. A properly set up H-D clutch works fine.
Based on my own experience, yours may differ!
Robbie
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

C'mon Robbie,
Our entire society is held together by band-aids.
Or at least our economies.

The "Ramjet Tamer" that I remember was a stepped hard nylon retainer, with indexable counterbores for the retaining clips.

It served its purpose best for footclutches, as it limited the sideways 'walk' of the clutch basket, and greatly prolonged the life of the primary chain.

Primary chains ain't cheap!

....Cotten
PS: This is in no way an indorsement of other "Ramjet" products, as at least one comes to mind as a disappointment.
61FLHPan
Inactive member

Post by 61FLHPan »

I would like to know how do you line up the tranmission and the engine i never did that that could be my problem

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”