Clutch question

StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Clutch question

Post by StueyC »

I have a freshly rebuild transmission and clutch. I finally got a clutch cable to check all is fine. When I release the clutch the entire outer basket moves outwards very slightly as the plates release. Is this normal or do I have a problem I need to look into?

Thanks.
StueyC
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Re: Clutch question

Post by partshunt »

StueyC:- First of course you would make sure your engine and clutch sprockets line up and you probably have that one licked. After that, its a known problem with the early panheads and so the clutch tamer was born. I used one on my 54 cuz I had that same problem as well, big time in fact as when I released the clutch, it would jerk forward every time the basket came out and chased after the released plates cousing the clutch to grab and release instantaneously . The original set up from Harley lacked a retainer to keep the basket away from the released plates. It tend to "walk" off the roller race. The clutch tamer is bassically a retainer installed behind the retainer springs and sits next to the ball or roller bearing & basket holding the basket in position at all times. Try one, you will love it...Joe
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

When you pull in the handle there should be some outward movement on the plates and retainer. The shell itself should remain stable (no movement). If the shell is moving most likely the clutch hub has slipped off the sprocket. Means removing plates, making sure key and nut are in place and re-tightening the left hand nut. Make sure to use a new washer behind the nut and do not forget to bend at least one if the lock tabs over the nut.

One other thought. When you install the push rod, I adjust mine so that the screw touches the push rod and then back the screw off 1/4 turn. Seem to avoid dragging.
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

The movement of your hub is normal, but the Tamer is money well spent.
Tamer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bikes: 57 flh 2008 ultra

Post by 1450 »

Ohio-Rider wrote:The movement of your hub is normal, but the Tamer is money well spent.
Tamer.jpg
yes it is :D

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”