Mousetrap with a diaphram spring clutch

Scoot

Mousetrap with a diaphram spring clutch

Post by Scoot »

Is anyone running a mousetrap with a diaphragm clutch spring? I installed a Rivera Primo clutch with their standard diaphragm spring and the clutch will not re-engage with the mousetrap setup as per the manual. The non-linier diaphragm spring tension does not have enough force to overcome the mousetrap spring and re-cock it. The only way I have it working now is to remove the mousetrap spring all together. Any ideas? Can this clutch be converted to a standard coil spring?
Thanks
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: Mousetrap with a diaphram spring clutch

Post by steinauge »

I would think that a much lighter mousetrap spring might do. Why on earth would you want to use anything but the -41 clutch in the first place?
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

If adj. correctly , it should not take much spring pressure to let the booster go back . You could use the booster eliminator bracket & do away with the booster all together, unless you want the look with the mouse trap.
Try adj. it again with more or less adj on the pressure for the booster spring & don't forget about the clutch arm adjustment, its got to be right also. You may have to play with non per-manual adjustments to make it work correctly.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

You would want to make sure that you set the mousetrap up so it does not go over center, but still depresses the diaphram enough to release the clutch plates. This may or may not be possible. As mentioned earlier, make sure you have the clutch release lever adjusted properly. That would be the first adjustment to make....bosheff

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”