62 Clutch rebuild advice

mcraeav
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

62 Clutch rebuild advice

Post by mcraeav »

Took my clutch apart and found bad cluch hub bearing surface and bent rod along with bad bearing surface on the clutch shell and worn sprocket. I have the 3 stud hub, should I upgrade to a 5 stud? I have the stock chain drive and want to stick with that. Are the hubs you see on the internet worth buying? Where is a good source for the parts?
Scoot

Re: 62 Clutch rebuild advice

Post by Scoot »

I just installed a three finger hub from custom chrome last night. I was disappointed in the fit versus the stock unit. The key way took some filing to allow it to accept the stock woodruff key without binding. Also the stock hub sat .030” further out from the transmission. The only thing I did like is that it allowed me to run a Super Nut because its collar that slides onto the transmission main shaft is quite a bit narrower.
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

Scoot, Welcome to the wonderfull world of repo parts!! you cant assume anything is right.
panpered
Inactive member

Post by panpered »

For a rider, you have to seriously consider upgrading to something like the Rivera Primo Pro-Clutch. It uses the stock clutch basket and chain drive, but the similarity ends there. You will have a super evo style clutch with sealed bearings. To get an idea of how it actually works, you should go to their web site and download the install directions and you will see that they use a special carrier where you currently have rollers that holds their sealed bearing. It is not cheap, but for something that no one will ever see anyway, it is worth having.
panpered
Inactive member

Post by panpered »

I remembered one other point. You can find shovelhead clutch baskets with the starter ring welded on much easier and cheaper than the panhead style. You can just grind the welds and pop the starter ring off, then use a flapper disc to clean up the rest of the weld and it is the exact same clutch basket and double row sprocket. I just did this for very little money just so I could install the Pro-Clutch with new primary chain and new sprockets.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I recently installed a 5-finger hub, all new steel plates, Barnett fiber disks, and an aluminum pressure plate on my belt-drive pan/knuck. What an amazing difference it has made! Now I have a nice smoooth engagement, can easily find nuetral, and it acts like a 'modern' clutch. Perhaps a Pro-Clutch would be an improvement, but I have everything I want out of the clutch performance now.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”