WLA45 clutch

tim45

WLA45 clutch

Post by tim45 »

hi guys
been a while since i have bugged anybody on here so here goes.
i am trying to get my clutch adjusted and the adjuster that runs through the centre of the clutch plates (`remove cover plate on chain cover, loosen lock nut and use screwdriver to move the threaded rod clockwise or counterclockwise`)seems to rotate without anything happening. i dont know what is on the other end of this rod but am not wanting to go any further without a diagram. i have palmers 2 books but i could do with either some good advise or a sectional diagram. any ideas??
thanks

tim45
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: WLA45 clutch

Post by FlatHeadSix »

tim,
sounds to me like the threaded sleeve came loose from the pressure plate, it happened to one of mine too. The slotted adjuster stud screws into a sleeve which was originally brazed to the pressure plate. Vibration, stress and age eventually take their toll. The sleeve has a collar on the inside so it won't pop thru the pressure plate when you push the clutch in, still works but you can't adjust it anymore if it turns inside the plate.
You can pull the pressure plate and weld it back from the inside. its a little tricky because its recessed into the hub on the pressure plate, if you have a wire-feed with a real small nose you can get inside there and tack it in a few spots. Otherwise you have to replace the pressure plate, still available and not that expensive.
of course I'm assuming your bike was made after 1941, the early clutches were different. All the 45's from '41 to '73 use the same clutch.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Tim you get your pressure plate fixed or replaced, may consider adding new springs, I use Barnett's H Duty
41-67 Big twin's same as 45 but stronger.
tim45

Post by tim45 »

hi guys
sorry for not replying sooner but a close work mate had a bad accident moto crossing. spent lots of time at the hospital. poor guy wont walk again.
anyway, clutch problem solved. it turns out that the threaded center of the clutch cover had lost all its threads! help at hand through local independent harley mechanic. managed to find a n.o.s. cover! only glitch is if i follow procedure and allow 1/4 inch play at clutch lever i cant seem to get enough clearance for engaging first. it will go in but with a little clunk. is this acceptable??

thanks

tim
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Tim,
Make sure you have all the plates stacked in the correct order and the "outer" side of the steel disks are facing out. One of the lined discs goes in first, then a steel disc with the "outer" side out, then another lined disc, then the other steel disc, then the half disc with the lining side facing in. The cover (pressure plate) goes on with the face against the steel side of the half disc.
Pre-load on the springs should give you 1 1/32" distance between the spring collar and the outer face of the pressure plate. If you can't get it to disengage completely you may want to try a little less pre-load on the springs, but watch out for slippage when the clutch is fully engaged.
hope this helps,
mike

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”