Setting up a diaphragm spring clutch

2dogs
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 FL motor in 1965 frame with an assembly of other old and replica parts.

Setting up a diaphragm spring clutch

Post by 2dogs »

Description: How does one set this diaphragm spring clutch up?

I just bought one of these "Sifton" diaphragm spring clutches from V-Twin with the 5 stud clutch hub to replace the well-worn 10 spring setup. I am using 4 steel drive disks, 5 friction disks and a mouse trap clutch booster.
How does one set this diaphragm spring clutch up? With the old style springs it starts with a simple measurement of distance between the pressure plate and the retainer ring.
I got zero instructions with this kit. Is is really so simple that no instructions are required? Has anyone set one of these up and care to share the information?

Thanks.
2dogs
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 FL motor in 1965 frame with an assembly of other old and replica parts.

Re: Setting up a diaphragm spring clutch

Post by 2dogs »

I can't believe no one has a word to offer on adjusting this modern style clutch in a Pan. I cannot be the first one here to have tried one on. I'll leave the post another day or so and then delete the damn thing.

dos perros
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

2 dogs, This is also a Holiday weekend. Chill dude.

Late style Big/T. was indeed a diaphram pressure plate till 1997. & was retained by a large Snap ring. Only adjusting on this one was the push-rod free-play.
1998+ later was changed to a 6 bolt diaphram pressure plate. But you tightened these down till they bottemed & that was set. & you still could adjust the push-rod play.

So although you have a diaphram set-up & a 5 stud hub. I'm not sure these are set exactly the same.
So rather than me guess, & hope you get a correct answer at your expense. I haven't replied because of this. Also, If I saw it, I could adjust it. Simple as that..
It sounds like the '98+ later set-up. If so it is so simple you wouldn't need directions. Just tighten down all 5 nuts till they bottom out & adjust the push-rod to 1/8- 1/4 free-play & lock down.
But because:
(1) I haven't seen this set-up you have, I'm guessing.
(2) I prefer the old-style 5 stud/springs.

This board has several hundred members at least, surely some one has done this set-up.
I have NOT.
Sifton's name is V Twin's label. = crap. They bought it when Sifton went bankrupt. So the name Sifton no longer means what it used to mean.
2dogs
Inactive member

Post by 2dogs »

Billy: You're right, I should have had a Guinness instead of ranting about not getting any replies.

I noticed too late that "45partsdepot" also sells diaphragm spring clutch kits. I bought this one through the parts counter at local HD shop. I also discovered too late that Sifton went TUITD and V-Twin took over. I've not been real happy about any of the stuff ordered through V-Twin since I started this project but they seem to be the only ones with the parts I need (crap that they are).
I originally went down to order a replacement pressure plate, 10 springs and retainer ring but my "friend" at the parts counter advised that this "Sifton" setup was a better way to go.
This whole project, my first basket, has been completed in small trial and error steps, mostly error. If this diaphragm setup isn't right for my '63 I'll keep the 5 finger hub and retainer ring that came with it, order a new pressure plate and springs and put the diaphragm parts on eBay.
Thanks for your comments, Billy! Much appreciated.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

2dogs, It's cool.
The set-up is supposed to be a good one...

It's a shot anyhow............
As far as a parts source for Pans, I think Kurt may be starting to sell big twin stuff ? So he may only have this set-up for the 45 Flatty's, But he "might" know how to set it.
Also www.nosparts.com for the U.S. & www.jwboon.com for the European market

The only parts you will get from the HD Stealerships are
V-Twain..
With NosParts/jwboon you can get either NOS[Real Deal] or quality aftermarket. "Your choice" ;)
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,I just looked in my 99 roadglides service manuel and the ill. shows that the bolts just go in and tighten down. I think you have a diff set up. I just looked at my rivera catalog in there clutch sect. it has a pressure plate then diaphram the nut/bolts then you thighten so that the dia. is flat to within.010 of being flat. If this is not what you have please describe the parts you have, I have been wondering about this set up my self, hope this helps
mbskeam
2dogs
Inactive member

Post by 2dogs »

Billy: Not comfortable asking help from Kurt at 45partsdepot when I did not buy the product from him.

Mbskeam: The parts consist of an thick aluminum retainer ring with 10 holes, a dome shaped diaphragm clutch spring and an aluminum pressure plate. All parts assemble over a 5 stud clutch hub included in the kit. It's V-Twin part # 18-0540 if you have a catalog handy. I'll take a digital pix tomorrow and post here if I can (not sure if posting images is allowed.)
Another problem with this set up is going to be getting the diaphragm spring ring and retainer centered over the clutch plates. Both parts have a certain amount of side to side slop and could easily be tightened down off-center, if that makes any sense at all. Maybe pictures will be some help if I can post.
Thanks.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

2dogs, I understand..Besides if Kurt knew, I think he might have posted adjutsment procedure, by now.
I think pics would be Exactly what is needed here. As far as posting being allowed. It is my impression from Panhead, it IS encouraged!! Please post pics..
Curious to see this set-up already.
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

Actually guys, I missed this entire post.
No problem on helping someone out, that's also part of what I do.
I adjust it as follows, it may take minor adjusting later, but it normally works.

Loosen the clutch adjusting screw completely, install the assembly with lock tabs and run the nuts down until you have 2 to 3 threads showing. I then take a depth mic, or a slide caliper and measure the distance from the outer aluminum plate thru to the hub. I take the measurements next to the nuts. At this time I try to get the measurements within a couple thousands at the 3 points. Actuate the clutch a couple times and re-measure. Make adjustment as necessary, then bend the lock tabs. Now adjust the clutch so there is a little play. The Diaphragm is real sensitive to adjustment, it takes very little pressure to release the clutch pack, but it has excellent holding pressure. If it's adjusted too tight, you'll burn up your clutches.

That should be good for the installation.

Kurt
2dogs
Inactive member

Post by 2dogs »

I've got a couple of pictures of the clutch kit but can't find a way to post them here.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Here are the pics:

2dogs
Inactive member

Post by 2dogs »

Panhead: Thanks for posting the pictures for me. And thanks to Billy, mbskeam and Kurt for advice offered. I'm sure I'll get it set one way or the other or maybe a combination of all.
Even so, I can't say too much good about the V-Twin kit. It looks OK but I still think they owed me some basic directions including a simple way to center the spring and the outer retainer ring.
Thanks again to everyone.

2mutts
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

2 dogs, I have to eat my words, Cause I never saw anything like that. It's the silver dished peice I mean.. ???
2dogs
Inactive member

Post by 2dogs »

Billy: Pretty far out, eh? Just my luck to get something so out of the mainstream that no one's ever seen it much less tried one before.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

2 dogs, Yeah that 3rd piece, the silver dish that throws me off. I can see & understand the top plate & the pressure plate, But the 3rd part [dish]looks like it doesn't belong. But, I don't know.
Call up where you got it, or V-twin & ask for some paperwork. I have received wrongly packaged & labeled parts. As I'm sure many here have..
So Who knows.. ???
Sorry Dude!!!

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”