Problem with Five Finger Clutch Hub

03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Problem with Five Finger Clutch Hub

Post by 03Roadking »

Hello to all
I have had some problems with my clutch dragging it is not constant it is more like rocking or lurching forward. I put the bike up on the lift pulled the belt, rattlers and disks, as I spun the hub I noticed that the basket was going back and forth. I put a dial gauge on the inner primary and could see the basket was running out almost 3/16 I figured that was my problem.
I bought a 5 finger hub from a guy about a year ago V-Twin part number 18-1216 I checked V-Twin and Custom chromes web sites and both said it was for kick only and for my year (62) and by looking at the pictures all the parts were there Hub, long rollers, Metal plate, very thin plastic disk and 5 spiral spring clips so I thought I would try it.
I put the basket over the new hub and slid the rollers in place, put the metal plate in place and pushed the spiral clips down until they locked into the grooves on the fingers. I could not find a place for the thin plastic disk so I left it out for now. When I went to lift the basket to put it on the shaft it started to slide apart. I picked it up as a unit and placed it on the shaft and put the whole thing back together to see how it worked. I thought the belt would hold it in place but when I pulled in the clutch lever it released the plates and let the basket slide out also, so I know this will not work. On my old three finger hub there is a thick plastic plate that holds the hub to the basket with three snap rings I tried using that but it will not fit down far enough so I can put the spring clips or the snap rings on. Is anyone running a five finger hub like this or can you see where I am going wrong I am posting four pictures
1 shows the basket with more than 1/4" from flush the hub
2 shows Hub Flush
3 shows the plastic disk that I don't know where it goes. I tried putting it over the metal plate but when I put the spiral clips on, it almost destroys the disk and when I go to pick it up it slides through the basket
4 is the old thick plastic plate from my three finger
If anyone has and Ideas please let me know (beside calling V-Twin tomorrow which I plan to do)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Re: Problem with Five Finger Clutch Hub

Post by 51Hog »

That plastic disk will cure a lot of your problem.
Take off the little coil springs.
Slide plastic disk on with the counterbores facing out.
Slide the retaining cir-clips over the studs to hold it in place.
This stops the basket from riding in and out with the clutch dis-engaged.
ramjet.jpg
Instructions http://www.laseur.nl/instructions/IN231596.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

So what you and the instructions are saying is to remove the metal plate that goes up againts the roller bearings and not use it or the spring clips at all, just use the plastic plate I took off my three finger set up with the three snap rings and that should do it. I will give it a try
Thanks
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Yesssir--
Mine works great like that.
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

Going out the the shop to give it a try BUT I have to ask do you know WHY they don't supply something like the plastic plate with the rest of the parts, :?: do they really think it would work without some sort of way to keep the hub and drum together :?:
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

I just bought a hub kit from Midwest that has the roller bearings, hub and a ram-jett. All part of the kit.
Kit "B" in the following link.

http://www.parts123.com/brand/midwestmo ... ?page=0571
lockdoc
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Post by lockdoc »

V-Twin Mfg.
CLUTCH HUB ASSEMBLY 53 ROLLER 5 STUD
Fits 1941-1984 BT
VT No. 18-1216
The Big Fix Clutch Bearing Kit
Fits 1974-1980 BT Models
VT No. 20-0229
This is a custom application and rider safety depends on proper installation. This product should only be installed by
a knowledgeable and trained motorcycle technician. V-Twin Mfg. accepts no responsibility for improper installation.
The 18-1216 is a replacement 5 stud clutch hub for 1941-1984 BT models and features, 53 long rollers, a neoprene plastic
bearing retainer, a steel bearing retainer (Not Used), adjusting nuts, snap rings and a tube of grease.
The 20-0229 is “The Big Fix” Clutch Bearing Kit and is similar to the 18-1216 less the hub, nuts and steel retainer (Not Used)
and is for use on 1974-1980 BT Models.
Installation Instruction for 18-1216/20-0229:
1. Always disconnect battery and remove from motorcycle, refer to original equipment service manual.
2. Remove outer primary, remove engine sprocket, chain adjuster, pressure plate assembly, clutches discs and steel
plates, remove clutch basket, chain and sprocket as an assembly.
3. Remove hub from transmission mainshaft.
4. For 20-0229 place hub on bench and strip of all parts except the small friction plate.
5. Install 5 stud hub or reinstall stripped hub in accordance with service manual.
6. Using tube of supplied grease liberally coated bearing surface and press 52 rollers into grease firmly around hub.
(Note: There will be one extra roller included in the kit).
7. Install plastic disc pressing all the way down, install snap rings into exposed grooves on studs.
8. Reinstall the rest of the parts using service manual.
9. We highly recommend using Ram Jett (18-3116) instead of the supplied neoprene disc.
Additional tips:
1. Do not lose the starter washer when removing outer primary.
2. Use large washer and nut to hold springs in place on pressure plate.
3. Remove adjusting nuts and slide pressure plate off as an assembly (saves time).
4. Note position of clutches for easy reassembly.
5. Conical springs will no longer be used replaced by snap rings.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I've had the same experience with the five finger hub, loose the coil springs and metal disk and replace with the plastic one with the C clips, the only priblem is the plastic disk has an A-B- and C set of holes counterbored to different depths to use with a three finger clutch, you may have to adjust the depth of some of them to work with tha five finger....Mike
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

The 'Ramjet' retainer is of great benefit all by itself for footclutch machines, as it helps prevent chains from wearing out sideways.

The 'Big Fix' rollers are great all by themselves for salvaging hubs and baskets that have tracks from smaller rollers, and indeed stabilize the basket greatly for testy belt applications.

But I never figured out any possible reason or benefit for five-stud hubs whatsoever, except to make vendors money.

....Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

But I never figured out any possible reason or benefit for five-stud hubs whatsoever, except to make vendors money.

....Cotten
It might have some thing to do with better distibution of clutch spring pressure on the pressure plate , those three studs are not centered as you know , two are farther apart . Ya its worked for so long the OEM way , maybe some one has built a better mouse trap ,so to speak. All I know is, it works fine on mine .Except I cracked that plastic retainer when I took it off for greasing the hub bearings . When I do it again I will be replacing it with a Ram Jet retainer.
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

The extra posts give more area for the disks holes to ride on (67%) when transfering power. I would suspect that the posts would take longer to get grooved?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Dale, the three finger also has ten studs total...Mike
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Thanks Mike----
Just testing you guys..........LOL :oops:
Dale
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

Well I put it together and now I have a very low howl that seems like it's coming from the clutch basket. I checked the belt to make sure it wasn't rubbing on the back primary cover. Could the ram jet be two tight. At an idle is when it is the loudest as I increase the rpm it isn't as loud
I thought I had enough play in it, It moved back and forth slightly but less than a match book cover for sure
Anybody have any ideas what to look for.
Thanks again
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Did you check the pulley alignment? It may have changed. Belt still traveling the same direction? Do you have ball bearings or roller bearings? I like rollers better than balls.
Any chance the belt is riding against the back of the basket? I run 1/2 " slack up and 1/2" slack down in the center of the belt at about 3-5 lbs of pressure? for a total deflection of 3/4 to 1" at 3-5 lbs.
Dale

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”