clutch hub

chuck58pan

clutch hub

Post by chuck58pan »

I have two clutch hub's , the one i used before needs some tweaking on the short studs to have the plates move freely; the other i planned to replace the long threaded studs and install a nylatron ring. the original near the key-way sticks out approx. 1/2- 5/8 out the back- side ,the hub i planned to re-stud, only projects apprx half that dimension . I am not able to dry fit anything because the trans is done but still in the shop. Will either hub work on this 4speed foot -shift or does the flatter projection belong with another set-up. thanks, chuck
VT

Re: clutch hub

Post by VT »

I believe, that after reviewing all of the posts made over on the flathead section, that the AM hub taper matches the mainshaft taper well enough. The OEM hubs had a thicker boss on the back of the hub that covered the key. The AM manufacturers cleverly designed a lighter, cheaper to build hub than Harley originally engineered, which now leaves the leading end of the key exposed, but the trailing edge of the key is recessed enough on the nut-end of the shaft, that the hunter-tang of the 4-fingered lock washer won't get sheared-off. Log Live the AM :!: :!:
A pic of you installation would surely help, but you can find that hub info over on Flathead and drag some of those pics over here to illustrate where you're at.
chuck58pan

Re: clutch hub

Post by chuck58pan »

thanks for the intro into that thread it was one of the most helpful yet. It seems that i will be working with my original Hub with what now seems minor repair. the Aft. mkt. hub I will check for fit at a later date.It is just dumb luck that i forgot the 3 long studs when i brought the hub to my builder. I hoped to peen them my self but i never noticed there was a difference in hubs which he observed almost instantaneously.this little bit of knowledge from that thread has saved me time/money, i appreciate it! my motor and trans are done and waiting for me to get the wheels on and roll into the shop. thanks Chuck

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”