Grabby clutch

This only happens while the bike is cold, once everything is up to normal running temp. the clutch behaves perfectly

DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Grabby clutch

Post by DuoDave »

A couple of guys in the WL section are complaining of grabby clutches. I have the same problem on my Pan. When moving off from a standstill, the clutch will grab and shriek and the bike lurches forward. The odd thing is that this only happens while the bike is cold, once everything is up to normal running temp. the clutch behaves perfectly. It's more of an irritation than a major problem, but I see various miracle cures advertised in the catalogues. Are any of them worth bothering with?
panster

Re: Grabby clutch

Post by panster »

I stopped my Pan doing exactly that by tightening the pressure plate nuts
an extra turn and a half, but it was a fine line between a dragging clutch
and the symptoms you describe.
Hope this helps Dave.

P.S.
I run a big fix and a ramjett retainer.
Good results from both.
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi Panster; I always been told to avoid these ram jett stuff as they overheat, there's not enough air between the rollers, company such as karata (when you run a belt) don't recommend these long rollers. Any advices guys ??
panster

Post by panster »

Hi DD.
I've only used the big fix with a chain primary so I cant really comment on its suitability for belt drive. I've done over 30,000 miles on the kit I am using with no problems, I run my primary chain oiler just enough to keep the chain wet.
The Ramjett is really just a tight fitting plastic disc that stops the clutch basket creeping over and making the plates drag, when I put mine on I just push it down the clutch fingers 'till it binds the drum then wiggle the drum to get a few thou clearance, nowadays I dont even bother with the circlips and it has been fine. This isn't a recommendation it's just what has worked for me.
DuoDave

Post by DuoDave »

Thanks for the tip Panster. I noticed that the clutch was slipping a little when I was out riding today (hooray for global warming!), so the pressure plate nuts probably need an extra turn or so. I've deliberately kept them backed off as far as possible to try and lighten the clutch pull. I also run the big fix long rollers. It's early days for me yet, only around 2,800 miles, but so far okay.
dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict »

Ok Duo; let me know if you have trouble with these rollers; I plan to change for primary belt soon. Cheers
DuoDave

Post by DuoDave »

Hey Panster, I've got me a smoooooth clutch! I tweaked my nuts this morning (ouch!) and I've just come back from a seventy mile ride. The clutch behaved just like the boys in Milwaukee intended. Perfecto! Thanks again.
Man, I love this site!
Happiness is Harley shaped! ;D
panster

Post by panster »

Hi Dave,
Glad to hear it worked.
Doesn't the world seem a better place when your Pan is happy?
ride safe.
DuoDave

Post by DuoDave »

DirtyDistrict.... I just spent the afternoon fitting a new primary chain. I had a good look at the "Big Fix" rollers and they look as good as new. With less than 3000 miles up, that doesn't prove much, but there is no discolouration which would indicate overheating. It may be a different story in the less oily environment of a belt primary. Maybe some of the other guys can advise you on that.
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

I just finished my 3rd season with primo belt and big fix. No problemos. The summers in sweden don't, however, get as hot as in many other places. Longest distance in one day is almost 500 miles (appx 750 km:s) and clutch was fine even then! 2 summers w hand clutch / foot shift and this last season with suicide clutch / jockeyshift.
dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict »

Thanx guys, I'll try these rollers, more surface for the clutch hub seems to be right and more able to keep belt alignment; a 500 miles Swedish try can't be wrong ;D
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

Big Fix rollers, a Tamer, Primo belt, mousetrap eliminator.
Just can't get enough pull out of the clutch lever to properly disengage.Lurches, drags etc. Worked o.k. with same setup and foot clutch/hand shift, but I would would rather foot shift now. Any suggestions?
panster

Post by panster »

Hi mtnspan,
I can't really suggest more than you have probably already thought, make sure the clutch arm and cable go past a rightangle when pulled, and,/ or, slightly shorten the clutch arm (more movement but a harder pull), or my favourite, use a mousetrap
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

Thanks Panster, I'm determined to make this work. I think the problem is in the arm. My next try will be to bend one for a longer throw.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

There are special longer clutch arms for use with a mousetrap eliminator. I have used one and it worked fine.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”