Clutch hub quandary

Anyone have any opinions either way on 3 finger versus 5 finger hubs?

suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Clutch hub quandary

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Restropection on the clutch hub pull I did last weekend:

I was getting a "clunk" sound from the clutch area upon take off or accelerating from low revs in a high gear. I went to adjust the clutch and also found that one of the studs ("fingers" - which are normally I believe peened fixed) was spinning freely, preventing the nut from performing its adjustment role.

I was at a total loss of how to remove it, and ended up (shudder) hacksawing it off so I could remove the hub. The hub was as I suspected badly worn anyway, with grooves from the clutch plates clearly visible.
I couldn't help wondering though if the solution couldn't have been neater than reverting to the saw.
Does anyone have any other hypothetical solutions?

Anyone have any opinions either way on 3 finger versus 5 finger hubs?
Are OEM hubs still available, and are they better quality than the aftermarket jobbies?
FWIW I've already bought a replacement 3 finger here in Japan to get back on the road faster, but I've seen discrepancies of up to $50 in part costs (with cork disk rivetted on in both cases) that made me wonder...
I paid JPY14,1400 for the part delivered which is about US$132.

And BTW, I don't think that the "clunk" was from hub wear - I'm guessing the clutch itself needed adjustment...could see any play in the tranny mounts etc...

Cheers,

S.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Clutch hub quandary

Post by panhead »

Jan Willem Boon http://www.jwboon.com sells them (3 stud), but I do not know if it's OEM.
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi suicide, to avoid these groove troubles on the studs, you could use some aluminium plates, they are lighter but also thinner than the so called "police" 3 1/2 clutch, so one more iron friction plate is needed.
kell

Post by kell »

Maybe the loose stud caused the clunk.
You can replace a stud too, it requires a special tool to hold the end of the stud while you peen it. I had to do that because I boogered up the threads on one of the studs. Now if I take the clutch apart I don't just unscrew the nuts, because when you get to the last one the plate pushes it crooked. Now I back out the adjuster nut first and put big washers under it to hold that outer plate in so I can just spin the nuts off easy. As regards your question of a better way to remove a nut from a spun stud, maybe you could have compressed the plate enough (using the adjuster nut) to get vice-grips onto the stud. But it probably doesn't matter that you cut the stud because you can't reuse it anyway.
One last thing: the instructions that came with the Jims stud tool I bought tell you to put the tool in a bench vise in order to hold it while you peen the stud. But I couldn't get a bench vise to hold everything motionless enough under the heavy peening impact. I went out and set the end of the tool on one of those curbs with a heavy steel edging. Perfect.
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

G'day. After having ridden it post hub transplant, I can say that the clunk now appears to be gone. Will have to ride it a bit more under various conditions to confirm however.
Regarding the method of removing the nuts - that is how it was done here too. Unfortunately we couldn't stop the stud from spinning and couldn't get the vicegrips on it so out came the hacksaw...
Cheers,

S.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”